First metal casting steps...

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

First metal casting steps...

Post by Elleth »

still no finished pieces, alas. :(
The mold compound we were going to use must have frozen or otherwise gone useless, so I have to get more before we can continue.

But at least I've gotten as far as getting the mold boxes set up - once the silicone arrives we'll start replicating my wax masters, then start lost-wax casting the copies in bronze.
buckle-duplication-boxes.jpg
buckle-duplication-boxes.jpg (113.09 KiB) Viewed 15687 times
But I have more on the way, and hopefully we'll be as far as actually casting metal by next weekend. On a lark, I've also ordered some cuttlefish to see if the old timey method works as well.

Once these buckes are done as a proof of concept (and the project some of them belong to is finished and off to its owner) - I'm going to try for a fire striker. I fell in love at first sight with the Gotland design you see here, and have wanted a Middle Earth take on the idea for ages. I'm not entirely settled on what it will be, but I'm fond of second sketch on the top row: it's not final, but I think using a piece of the Professor's Silmaril heraldric emblem is a great ornament for a fire striker:
fire-striker-designs.jpg
fire-striker-designs.jpg (129.74 KiB) Viewed 15687 times
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: First metal casting steps...

Post by Udwin »

AWESOME! I haven't progressed past one-piece pewter casts yet. Had great results with a bondo mold that lasted for about 6 pours and then started losing details. This might inspire me to finally finish my book-accurate mallorn cloak pin this winter.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Good gracious, on that striker. Put me down for one. *chuckle*

Add it to the pile. I keep saying "Kit's sooo close to being done"...but I'm obviously just a better liar than craftsman. Can't wait to see how this comes out.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I think it'll come out good. You know.. eventually.
My fella's mentioned he's happy to do a few of the iron part, so I probably will do a small run and place some in the classifieds. It'll be quite a while though I'm afraid.

I also just looked at the photo of the setup and derped - I need to add vent sprues to. And although for the initial wax copies, I don't think the pour sprue placement will be too bad, it's going to be heck to clean up on the final piece. Still - it's coming.

So many projects going on - most of my craftsy time lately has been trying to get the casting prep done, as I have a commission roadblocked by the hardware being ready.

Moreover, I recently realized I have barely a month or so left of usable sun: so any walnut-dyed leather I want to do in the next six months I need to process now. AAAAA!

The upside though is that I think a LOT of loose ends are going to be tied up in the next month or two.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I love your striker design and would also jump at the opportunity to own one, please put me on that list as well.
I know it is not a period process due to the material, but I have had great success with using polymer clay for plugs. I just need to find the best method to use them with. I grew up using the foundry method with stacked boxes and the earthen clay using a bit of powder for the release and graduated dowels for the sprue, however this is kind of large scale method and I think it would be better to consider the way you are doing it. The PC is just so easy to work in and I am so familiar with it. what do you suggest Elleth? (or any other of you who might have any insight) :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Oh man, this is going to be AWESOME. I'm so excited to see your results! Boy oh boy do you have a lot of irons in the fire right now (figuratively speaking... and perhaps soon literally, haha). I'd love one of these as well if/when you complete them. I've wanted to try my hand at metal casting for a long time, but quite honestly, the process is very complex and time-consuming, and I just don't know if I've got the patience for it. I can carve wax all day long, but when it comes to turning that design into metal... count me out, heh.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

"A lot of irons..."
I know, right?

Getting the metal poured was gating me on the one project I really wanted to finish soonest - we had a perfect cast this weekend, so I can finally make forward progress there again. No more pictures until / unless the owner of that piece wants to do so, but... I'm happy. :)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Any chance I could convince you to cast me up a pewter buckle sometime? I really want a replica of Strider's buckle from the films, and I'd love to lend to your education, haha.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Ha!

I do intend to do a WETA "Strider" buckle and strap end at some point, but it will be a while - certainly no sooner than next fall I think.

I'm not certain about pewter - on the one hand, it had a poor reputation in medieval era for belt furniture, and if memory serves a girdler's guild banned the use of pewter for buckles and such in London at some point.
On the other hand, that might be just the sort of low-rent thing a man on the low would use - provided it held up to heavy use.

All that said, the "Strider" buckle and strap end is definitely informing my original pieces, even if I'm not slavishly copying it.
aragorn-buckles.jpg
aragorn-buckles.jpg (47.24 KiB) Viewed 15559 times
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Awesome. Yeah, I've heard the same about pewter, but I've used at least one pewter buckle over the years, and it worked fine. Not the absolute best material in the world, but serviceable. steel or iron would probably be a better choice for that particular buckle though.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Elleth wrote:....a girdler's guild banned the use of pewter for buckles and such in London at some point.
Very interesting note! At least in the early middle ages, bronze was preferred. Why bother with pewter?
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Bronze is certainly superior, without a doubt. Unfortunately, a lot of the buckles in film tend to be of a silver-tone, so if you're making replicas, bronze doesn't quite look right.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Thankfully, a lot of current buckle suppliers provide a silver-plate option...but it makes me a little more wary of taking said buckles into the woods. I prefer steel for that reason alone, when I want the grey-tone metals but hard-wearing finish.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

It was fairly common to tin bronze buckles once upon a time for a more silvery look - both in Classical and medieval era both.
That said, I think Strider's buckle really wants to be in iron. Which sadly, I doubt I'll ever be able to do.

I think your BEST option if you're willing to pay that much is find a decent smith to forge a copy.
Second best would be modelling it up and having Shapeways print it: http://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel
(It's probably some kind of stainless, so not period..)

Third best - check your PMS. :)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, steel or iron would be cool. I've thought about trying to get one 3-D printed, but I don't know the first thing about 3-D modeling. I work better with my hands, in any case.

But yes, I have checked my PM's, and I will bear it in mind, thank you! Until then, I can't wait to see what fruits this project yields!