First metal casting steps...

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: First metal casting steps...

Post by Manveruon »

Holy cow, lookit you guys go! This is exciting!

I was also thinking - wit the right sort of loop at the top of the bronze portion, you could almost use one of these as a belt tip! Which I think could be pretty cool, because you would always have a striker to hand when needed, and it would also serve a decorative garb purpose at the same time. Could even drill a hole in a piece of flint and hang it from the belt or around your neck to keep them both easily accessible at all times.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Will Whitfoot
Dúnadan

Post by Will Whitfoot »

Very interesting casting projects!!! I've got a small casting setup over here... electric melt of up to 1350g copper/brass or 1550g silver. Mostly I use it to melt the scrap "web" left over from punching coin blanks into a flat bar 2" wide x 1/2" thick that I can roll out to make more blanks. I'm setting up a gas melter with #6 crucible that should be able to melt up to 6kg of copper or brass. But I still don't have any molds of that capacity!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Will Whitfoot wrote:Very interesting casting projects!!! I've got a small casting setup over here... electric melt of up to 1350g copper/brass or 1550g silver. Mostly I use it to melt the scrap "web" left over from punching coin blanks into a flat bar 2" wide x 1/2" thick that I can roll out to make more blanks. I'm setting up a gas melter with #6 crucible that should be able to melt up to 6kg of copper or brass. But I still don't have any molds of that capacity!
Small casting setup? That sounds far more extensive than mine, you could do a lot with that if you make some plaster molds :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.