A Healing Soup

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

A Healing Soup

Post by Harper »

I just came across this recipe for a healing soup. I haven't tried it yet, but I do believe that it will nock out what ails you. I can't speak to the taste or the smell though...

http://herballegacy.com/Garlic%20and%20Onion%20Soup.pdf

It looks great for things like a cold, flu. pneumonia, bronchitis, congestion, etc.

You could also add turmeric or ginger to increase the healing properties even more.

Use fresh ingredients for the best results.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: A Healing Soup

Post by Elleth »

Oh gosh - that looks tasty! Needs chicken broth though. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Looks tasty.

It reminds me, of course, that strong-smelling onion soup was given to warriors with stomach wounds. If the onion could then be smelled in the wound, then the diagnosis was that the stomach was punctured.

So your recipe can have many uses. :mrgreen:
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Here is some more info on that:

http://www.vikingsofmiddleengland.co.uk ... icine.html

(Towards the end)
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Thanks, it was from Heimskringla then; I was looking for the ultimate source in vain.
That's a pretty interesting group, btw.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Kortoso - I distinctly remember reading that somewhere, too. Could it have been Eaters of the Dead, by Michael Crichton? I feel like that might be where I saw it. Either that or the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Manveruon wrote:Could it have been Eaters of the Dead, by Michael Crichton? I feel like that might be where I saw it.
Yup. 'He has the onion sickness.' That's where I first encountered it at least; I was about to chime in but K. beat me to it. Man, that book is such a solid bit of mythic-historic-adventuring. Don't know how many times I've read it.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Chricton obtained an M.D. from Harvard but never practiced medicine.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Udwin wrote:Man, that book is such a solid bit of mythic-historic-adventuring. Don't know how many times I've read it.
This.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

What's really funny to me is that, if you read the author's note, Crichton warns against taking literally anything in the book at face value, including the footnotes, because even he does not remember which information was real and which was stuff he simply made up.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

...Been a long time since I read that one. I should go back and give it another read-through.
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Garlic is a natural antibiotic, I have taken it to heal faster for years...I use the pills now, less smell. Once you try that healing soup, you will have to post an update.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.