3-D archery target

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

3-D archery target

Post by Straelbora »

Well, my son was 5 when he came up with the idea of making Orcs to place in the woods at my Dragons Wood Inn project, as targets. He's 7 now and I've been so busy with so many things, but last weekend, we finally got started on one.

The frame is left-over or scrap wood that I've hauled off from people getting rid of it on Craigslist. The stuffing is either old closed-cell foam from the Goodwill 'dollar a pound' store or couch cushions from garbage day curb sitters. The clothing, etc. , are from the Goodwill 'dollar a pound' store.

It's mostly done. I hope to be shooting arrows at it next weekend.

There are more photos at the Dragons Wood Inn Facebook page.
Attachments
Partially assembled up close.jpg
Partially assembled up close.jpg (52.42 KiB) Viewed 7712 times
Orc parts 30 percent.jpg
Orc parts 30 percent.jpg (193.51 KiB) Viewed 7712 times
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: 3-D archery target

Post by Kortoso »

I'm personally okay with it, in fact, cool and neat! What fun!

Keep in mind that many people will give you a hard time with humanoid targets in archery. I remember that our Andy brought this up on Swordforum and caught no end of grief for it. :shock:
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!

I'd like to get something like that set up here as well - maybe once I actually get good even get some inexpensive mail for 'em to try to shoot around. :)

And folks gave Andy grief for fun targets? Spoilsports. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Kortoso wrote:I'm personally okay with it, in fact, cool and neat! What fun!

Keep in mind that many people will give you a hard time with humanoid targets in archery. I remember that our Andy brought this up on Swordforum and caught no end of grief for it. :shock:

I'm too old to care what other people think.

It is interest what people will get upset about. In the 'making of' parts of the "Lord of the Rings" movies, Peter Jackson mentions that the Wargs look more like hyenas and the Oliphaunts have 4 tusks, etc. , simply to avoid people complaining about 'killing' wolves and elephants in the films.

Which reminds me of the great internet troll who took an image of Steven Spielberg leaning on the animatronic triceratops from "Jurassic Park" and posted it on Facebook as an outrage that rich and famous filmmaker Spielberg had gone hunting the very endangered triceratops. It was forwarded with all sorts of indignant comments.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál