Leather for pouch

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Leather for pouch

Post by Elwindil »

I have a pattern I purchased a bit ago that among others contains a pattern for a stiff sided roll top leather pouch, and as leather is something new for me to be working in, I'm wondering what recommendations for thickness/type of leather to use for something like this. I would also like some tool recommendations since I'll be needing to get those as well. If you're wondering, the pattern in question is this one. https://butterick.mccall.com/b5936 the pouch is the one that has the glass bottles in it.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Leather for pouch

Post by Peter Remling »

3 oz or better leather will work nicely with that. I wouldn't use anything higher than 6oz though. As far as tools go a mallet wood, rubber or plastic, an exacto knife or similar hobby knife, a needle and thread or sinew and a stitching chisel. The stitching chisel will make nice evenly spaced stitching holes. This will be enough to get you started and if you determine you like leather work then you can purchase additional tools.

Hope this helps
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

I've seen folks in a pinch use the sharpened tines of a fork as a stitching chisel! Or alternately you could get a marking wheel and hand awl and do it one hole at a time...as long as your line is straight, you're good.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I started out punching all my stitching holes by hand with an awl - it's very doable, but I will admit that getting a multi-prong stitching chisel greatly improved my quality of life. Even if you do opt for a chisel, I'd recommend picking up an awl as well (even if it's just an inexpensive scratch awl). It's handy for opening up the stitching holes when the chisel doesn't quite make a big enough hole for the needle to pass through easily (which happens to me fairly often).

You can get mallets from leatherworking suppliers, but I used a $3 Harbor Freight mallet for quite a while, and it got the job done.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

thanks guys, all of that info does help. I usually work in wood, and normally use modern tools for that, because it's just what I know. I've decided though that I need to learn some new skills, and since I've already got the patterns, I figured leather would be a good place to start.
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

Leatherwork is fun and I use the sharpened fork it works well.