Some LOTR inspired leather goods.

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

theowl
Vendor

Some LOTR inspired leather goods.

Post by theowl »

I've posted a few pictures of stuff I've made on the facebook group, but I figured I'd share them here as well. https://imgur.com/gallery/0cEgx
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Some LOTR inspired leather goods.

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice work !
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh those are lovely! I like the Faramir jerkin especially!

I'm curious - did you tool that tree a stamp-blow at a time, or did you create a giant die like the propmakers did? The bottom surface looks so even!

If you're interested, Shockbolt on Shapeways mas modeled up the buckle for those bracers:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/C7WXT ... kle-no-pin

I've been planning to work up that ubiquitous buckle frame you see on Faramir's cloak, Boromomir's jerkin, and Aragorn's quiver - it just hasn't burbled to the top of my project list yet.

Is "Christian Fletcher longsword" the same as "Borderwatch" or was there a version / product line change in there somewhere?

Very nice work!!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

I tooled the trees by hand. Having a stamp would be easier, but it would make adjusting the size a pain.

I've seen the buckles, hopefully I can convince a customer to upgrade some day haha.

My longsword is one of the older borderwatches back when he was using atrim blades almost exclusively. Since then he changed up the design and made it a standard offering. Mine is a bit bigger than the one he offers now (49").
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

theowl wrote:I tooled the trees by hand. Having a stamp would be easier, but it would make adjusting the size a pain.

I've seen the buckles, hopefully I can convince a customer to upgrade some day haha.

My longsword is one of the older borderwatches back when he was using atrim blades almost exclusively. Since then he changed up the design and made it a standard offering. Mine is a bit bigger than the one he offers now (49").
Wasn't that the 1561 blade ? I handled one of those almost 15 years ago, stunning weapon.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Peter Remling wrote:
theowl wrote:I tooled the trees by hand. Having a stamp would be easier, but it would make adjusting the size a pain.

Wasn't that the 1561 blade ? I handled one of those almost 15 years ago, stunning weapon.
That sounds correct, Pete.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

It's the 1415 blade. I believe the 1561 is a bit thinner, and doesn't have a fuller.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Forgot to respond to this when first posted, but I wanted to say that I've been watching your leather work for a while now (I think I found some of it on Google when I was looking for Aragorn and Ithilien Ranger reference pics a while back), and it is always absolutely GORGEOUS! Very clean work! Hope to see you around the forums posting new stuff :)
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Thanks man! I mostly do pretty basic sheaths and gun holsters, but i always jump at a chance to make something middle earth themed.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I seem to recall that Angus originally called the sword the Ranger, and later changed it to Borderwatch.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Kortoso wrote:I seem to recall that Angus originally called the sword the Ranger, and later changed it to Borderwatch.
That sounds about right
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I have seen some of your work too, I must say you do a very nice job of everything I have seen. No worries about its "newness" everything is new at some point. Rubbing dirt on it will prematurely make it looked used, if it is for a costume that is fine, but the best way to weather kit, is to use the hell out of it and it will break in just fine! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Ringulf wrote:I have seen some of your work too, I must say you do a very nice job of everything I have seen. No worries about its "newness" everything is new at some point. Rubbing dirt on it will prematurely make it looked used, if it is for a costume that is fine, but the best way to weather kit, is to use the hell out of it and it will break in just fine! :mrgreen:
Exactly, someone asked me how I got my Indiana jones gear so authentically beat up. I told him I spent a weekend hiking and rock scrambling in Joshua tree national park.
Ranger Austin
Wayfarer

Post by Ranger Austin »

Really gorgeous stuff.
Gærfast
Wayfarer

Post by Gærfast »

Very, very nice work. I especially like that shield.