making a viking age pack

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

making a viking age pack

Post by Elwindil »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fShizDT3pY&t=209 this fellow here has some interesting stuff that he does, among other things this pack made in the woods that is more or less just a frame, but a pack in leather could theoretically be added to it.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: making a viking age pack

Post by Elleth »

SUBSCRIBED!

What a cool playlist!

I'm curious - have there ever been any documented finds of a pack like that in Nordic lands, or is that a theoretical construction? I know there was a similar bent frame found with Otzi, but last I head the jury was out on whether it was a packframe or a snowshoe (or something else).

Any new evidence someone knows of?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

I think it's just a theoretical thing, but I'm not sure. it is pretty cool to watch though, and the rest of the videos on that channel are kind of nifty. I especially enjoy the weaving of the copper wire to make a bracelet.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I don't know about that kind of backpack for the Old Norse people, but it's certainly possible. Most of the ancient finds are little more than moldy scraps of wood without instructions chiseled on the bottom. :mrgreen:

It really looks like he's jazzing off of the Ötzi pack.
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/make-your ... man-video/

Based on some circumstantial evidence, it looks like the Vikings did have some sort of basket-type backpack from the Gokstad, sort of an Adirondack Pack:
http://koboldkerker.blogspot.com/2015/1 ... kpack.html
http://www.adirondackpackbaskets.com/packbaskets.htm

Although, looking at this "basket" reconstruction from Gokstad, it should be open at the top in order to be - ahem - more useful....
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh now this is a fun little one - those Europeans are getting up to some fun stuff lately. :mrgreen:

Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote:Oh now this is a fun little one - those Europeans are getting up to some fun stuff lately. :mrgreen:
Brilliant vidio :P some good idias for carrying equipment
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Elleth wrote:Oh now this is a fun little one - those Europeans are getting up to some fun stuff lately. :mrgreen:
As usual! Gah...I swear, not a week goes by that I don't say to myself, "Self, if only I had a drone, a fancy camera, a decent archive of trad scandi music, slick editing software, and oh I dunno, a mature, functioning, Undeveloped, Old World environment to explore, I could be just as instafamous as any number of groups I see on the interwebz." ; )

As it is, given the right resources, I don't doubt that several of us here could put together something just as slick as the Hands On History folks.

The bone pin with the figure-eight band around it has got me thinking though!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Udwin wrote:As it is, given the right resources, I don't doubt that several of us here could put together something just as slick as the Hands On History folks.
Manv shared that video with his local group on FB, and they were chatting about giving it a go!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Taurinor wrote:
Udwin wrote:As it is, given the right resources, I don't doubt that several of us here could put together something just as slick as the Hands On History folks.
Manv shared that video with his local group on FB, and they were chatting about giving it a go!
We definitely want to! Unfortunately none of us are anywhere near as experienced or polished in our reenactment impressions as the wonderful folks over at Hands On History, but I feel like we could still produce something relatively cool! That said, I'd love to see Udwin do something of the sort! He and his cohorts are just the right kind of crazy to pull it off!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains