A long time comming~Eric's Gift Blade

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

A long time comming~Eric's Gift Blade

Post by Ringulf »

This post must start first and foremost with an apology, Eric I searched high and low for these pictures and I remember writing the article after I took them but I don't see them here anywhere, perhaps I never hit send?...I wouldn't put it past this old Dwarf to do something scatterbrained or addlepaited!
But that being said the gift itself has been very well used and appreciated and a regular part of my kit. I am speaking of the absolutely beautiful and serviceable knife Eric C of Ichthean Forge Crafted for me the Yule Gift exchange before last.
The blade is extraordinary, but I will let Eric discuss the making of it. let me just say, I am blown away by it's ability to hold a razor's edge. Its patterned blade has a gentle leaf shape that gives a long smooth cut and it's back is thick and strong. The lovely file-work on the blade back gives a discreet elegance to this otherwise utilitarian piece. The rich wooden handle feels very good in the hand and its shape indexes easily. The work on the bolster is again elegant, yet modest. a tool and weapon fit for any Ranger in the wild, but with the crafting and quality that even a Dwarf could admire and appreciate.
Each time I look at it or draw it from it's thoroughly inadequate cordura "Finn Bear" sheath (to be remedied very soon and the subject of my next posting) I see more little nuances of craftsmanship and care that have gone into the knife.
It is with greatest thanks and appreciation that I say "Thank you to Brother Eric" I will use it often and think of you each time the blade is drawn. May it fight the shadow each day in my hands or those of my descendants when I am no more, for it will become an heirloom of my house and I will suffer no harm to it! :mrgreen:
ericknife.jpg
ericknife.jpg (165.86 KiB) Viewed 13446 times
ericsknife3.jpg
ericsknife3.jpg (141.67 KiB) Viewed 13446 times
ericsknife4.jpg
ericsknife4.jpg (157.02 KiB) Viewed 13446 times
Last edited by Ringulf on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: A long time comming~Eric's Gift Blade

Post by Straelbora »

Quite a beauty!
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Straelbora wrote:Quite a beauty!
I agree :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, let me see if I can remember everything. This one was forged from 1/4" 1095 high carbon steel. It was heat treated and edge quenched to create the quench line as well as a differential hardening. It has a partial tang that - if I recall correctly - runs nearly completely through the handle. I think the handle is Cocobolo with brass pin. The bolster is brass with a leather spacer. The file work is a simple if somewhat lazy vine pattern. I don't really mean lazy in a bad sense. It just isn't a tight pattern with sharp twists. I really need to try another type of file work on my next blade - broaden my horizons.

This knife was a joy to make. I hope it brings you many years of great service, my dear brother! And I can't wait to see what you do for the sheath.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ranger Austin
Wayfarer

Post by Ranger Austin »

Every time I log into this forum I am consistently amazed at the level of craftsmanship shown by our members. Excellent work, Eric, and enjoy the blade Ringulf!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Fantastic work, Eric. You could ask a significant price for a piece like that...you're much better than you give yourself credit!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Ranger Austin wrote:Every time I log into this forum I am consistently amazed at the level of craftsmanship shown by our members. Excellent work, Eric, and enjoy the blade Ringulf!
Greg wrote:Fantastic work, Eric. You could ask a significant price for a piece like that...you're much better than you give yourself credit!
Thank you both very much. To be honest, lately I've been in a bit of a slump but I can say I see a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm hoping 2018 is going to be a break-through year for the forge.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.