3-D archery targets

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

3-D archery targets

Post by Straelbora »

I've decided to focus on my archery skills this year.

I started an "Orc" target by making a 2x4 wooden 'skeleton' covered in old couch cushion foam, and dressed in Goodwill clothes and Halloween mask, also from Goodwill (we have 'one dollar per pound' bulk Goodwill stores- they dump stuff in bins the size of pool tables and you have to elbow your way in to check stuff out).

I plan on makeing a few of these Orcs to place in the woods on my property for target practice.

For a more practical skill honing, I'd also like to improve my archery with the idea of hunting squirrels and rabbits which are on the land. To this end, at the same 'by the pound' Goodwill store, I've been picking up realistic squirrel and rabbit stuffed animals. I had some in the back of my van from a few days ago and my five year old commandeered them into his stuffed animal collection!

I'm also setting up a target I can put in my garage, in order to squeeze a few minutes of archery practice in on a more regular basis. I'm going to try a target plan I saw on an archery site: Make two "T"-shaped 2x4 struts, flip them upside-down, then connect them a couple of feet off the ground with another 2x4. Wrap the area above the cross piece with that heavy duty gardening fabric used to prevent weed growth, and then wrap that with chicken wire. Fill the space between the 2x4s that is wrapped with cloth and chicken wire with old clothes. I've been told this works pretty well at stopping arrows.

Any other ideas for 3-D targets?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: 3-D archery targets

Post by Iodo »

A guy at my archery club makes 3D targets by wrapping a post in a thick layer of high density foam underlay, the only problem with that is its hard to pull arrows out.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Cool!

I've been meaning to make an orc-target for years. Maybe this summer. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

I made my archery backstop (which I ended up just using as a target) by cutting all the cross pieces off of a pallet save the ones on the ends, wrapping the whole pallet in some old carpet that I had sitting around, and then stuffing the void in the middle with shrink wrap that we take off the boxes were I work. It's about 8" thick, but it will stop bodkin arrows out of my 60lb bow all day long without them ever penetrating out the back. Best of all, everything was free. Large feed sacks stuffed with shrink wrap work well too, as do cardboard boxes if that's what you have. I have some heavy duty 12"x12" boxes that I have stuffed that I use for random distance shooting. I roll them across the ground like dice, and then shoot them where they settle.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

BrianGrubbs wrote:I made my archery backstop (which I ended up just using as a target) by cutting all the cross pieces off of a pallet save the ones on the ends, wrapping the whole pallet in some old carpet that I had sitting around, and then stuffing the void in the middle with shrink wrap that we take off the boxes were I work. It's about 8" thick, but it will stop bodkin arrows out of my 60lb bow all day long without them ever penetrating out the back. Best of all, everything was free. Large feed sacks stuffed with shrink wrap work well too, as do cardboard boxes if that's what you have. I have some heavy duty 12"x12" boxes that I have stuffed that I use for random distance shooting. I roll them across the ground like dice, and then shoot them where they settle.

Brian
Great ideas, and I like to recycle stuff as much as possible.
Hávamál
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Orc targets are all fine, as long as you don't publicize it too much. Archery clubs and the online social network tend to get their knickers twisted in a knot when archers are shooting at humanoid targets.
There's a range near me that sponsors a dinosaur hunt, with life-size(?) foam targets and such. So I suppose a dragon and other malicious creatures could be reproduced to prepare for "inevitable" encounters with these beasts.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Kortoso wrote:There's a range near me that sponsors a dinosaur hunt, with life-size(?) foam targets and such.
Hmmmm A life size T-Rex target? That would take a lot of making LOL :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Iodo wrote:
Kortoso wrote:There's a range near me that sponsors a dinosaur hunt, with life-size(?) foam targets and such.
Hmmmm A life size T-Rex target? That would take a lot of making LOL :lol:
https://www.rinehart3d.com/3d-targets/exotic-targets/
Hávamál