On the subject of blankets and shelters

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Iodo
Haeropada

Re: On the subject of blankets and shelters

Postby Iodo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:36 am

Elleth wrote:Hunh - that would seem to be a pretty significant issue.
How do people deal with that - are they just more popular outdoors in arid climates?
Only used in shelters? Something else?

I'm influenced by modern camping but I would have thought a blanket shouldn't get wet, if it were rolled up inside a bed-roll it would stay dry, then put on a ground sheet under a shelter, just the same as a sleeping bag that would be put inside a dry-sack then attached to a pack and at the campsite it would stay dry inside a tent? or is it harder to keep stuff dry if the tent isn't fully enclosed?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Meganbeyer
Wayfarer

Postby Meganbeyer » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:17 pm

I had a waxed canvas bed roll that i put my blankets in, but it still got damp depending on the weather and if it slid back behind my saddle pad. I cant say that you couldn't keep blankets dry in a tarp tent, but getting there is where i found the problems.
I set a tarp tent on a very rainy week long camping trip and keep my gear dry, but my blankets did get a damp feel to them. As the week went on the damp got worse but never really wet feeling. Hoping to get out with a canvas tarp on future adventures and stay away from the noisy blue tarps that i have used in the past.
The gentleman that i bought my alpacas from said the best way he knew how to wear alpaca wool was as a middle layer. Wear a wicking layer close to the skin, a layer of light alpaca, then a layer to shed water or snow in the cold... I haven't gotten around to doing much processing of my wool yet. Hoping to get that done sooner than later.
Iodo
Haeropada

Postby Iodo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:29 pm

cool, thanks for the info, the only thing I'm likely to do is one night trips, so I'm guessing I should be able to keep stuff dry by rolling it inside a tarp, and building a shelter, for one night I probably won't have an issue
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Iodo
Haeropada

Postby Iodo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:55 pm

update on the project: I still haven't ordered a blanket, still deciding and with the UK under lock-down there's no hurry

although I happened upon this:

by "happened upon" I mean found it in a skip outside someones house, it's 100% wool and totally free :lol: although I'm not planning to use it, mainly because it has quite a few holes ripped by being under some sharp rubble, if it were a better color I might have considered spending the time patching them, and I won't try to dye it because just washing it was so much hard work, wet wool is insanely heavy, but at least it gives me an idea of how bulky a blanket would be and has allowed me to make and test some bed-roll straps (that I'll hopefully post pics of soon)

out of interest I measured and weighed it, the same as Elleth has done, here's what I got:

Size: 84" x 66"
Weight: 4.1 Ibs
1.7 oz/ft2

Return to “WoodCraft”