On the subject of blankets and shelters

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Iodo
Haeropada

Re: On the subject of blankets and shelters

Postby Iodo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:36 am

Elleth wrote:Hunh - that would seem to be a pretty significant issue.
How do people deal with that - are they just more popular outdoors in arid climates?
Only used in shelters? Something else?

I'm influenced by modern camping but I would have thought a blanket shouldn't get wet, if it were rolled up inside a bed-roll it would stay dry, then put on a ground sheet under a shelter, just the same as a sleeping bag that would be put inside a dry-sack then attached to a pack and at the campsite it would stay dry inside a tent? or is it harder to keep stuff dry if the tent isn't fully enclosed?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Meganbeyer
Wayfarer

Postby Meganbeyer » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:17 pm

I had a waxed canvas bed roll that i put my blankets in, but it still got damp depending on the weather and if it slid back behind my saddle pad. I cant say that you couldn't keep blankets dry in a tarp tent, but getting there is where i found the problems.
I set a tarp tent on a very rainy week long camping trip and keep my gear dry, but my blankets did get a damp feel to them. As the week went on the damp got worse but never really wet feeling. Hoping to get out with a canvas tarp on future adventures and stay away from the noisy blue tarps that i have used in the past.
The gentleman that i bought my alpacas from said the best way he knew how to wear alpaca wool was as a middle layer. Wear a wicking layer close to the skin, a layer of light alpaca, then a layer to shed water or snow in the cold... I haven't gotten around to doing much processing of my wool yet. Hoping to get that done sooner than later.
Iodo
Haeropada

Postby Iodo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:29 pm

cool, thanks for the info, the only thing I'm likely to do is one night trips, so I'm guessing I should be able to keep stuff dry by rolling it inside a tarp, and building a shelter, for one night I probably won't have an issue
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Iodo
Haeropada

Postby Iodo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:55 pm

update on the project: I still haven't ordered a blanket, still deciding and with the UK under lock-down there's no hurry

although I happened upon this:

by "happened upon" I mean found it in a skip outside someones house, it's 100% wool and totally free :lol: although I'm not planning to use it, mainly because it has quite a few holes ripped by being under some sharp rubble, if it were a better color I might have considered spending the time patching them, and I won't try to dye it because just washing it was so much hard work, wet wool is insanely heavy, but at least it gives me an idea of how bulky a blanket would be and has allowed me to make and test some bed-roll straps (that I'll hopefully post pics of soon)

out of interest I measured and weighed it, the same as Elleth has done, here's what I got:

Size: 84" x 66"
Weight: 4.1 Ibs
1.7 oz/ft2
The Riff Wizard

Postby The Riff Wizard » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:19 am

Sorry to resurrect an older topic, but there seemed no need to start an entirely new discussion.

I was wondering if anyone had had any experience with Ektos blankets? Based on reviews, they seem to be good quality and fairly inexpensive as wool blankets go, if a bit lightweight. Granted, the lighter weight wouldn’t be so much of an issue for me, as I live in SC where summer is unbearably hot, and I don’t plan to do much adventuring in the winter.

Here is a link if you haven’t heard of them: http://www.ektosgear.com/woolblankets.html
“He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved.”
Eofor
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Postby Eofor » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:53 am

The Riff Wizard wrote:Sorry to resurrect an older topic, but there seemed no need to start an entirely new discussion.

No you did the right thing, the longer you're here the more you realise that most things have been discussed before and that the search bar is your friend!

As to your blanket a look at a few reviews show it being a capable blanket but one that probably isn't ideal for ranger work.
This review is reasonably thorough.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... ektos-wool
For seven days without eating or sleeping the new king sat, until he stood and cried "This cannot be borne!"!
The Riff Wizard

Postby The Riff Wizard » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:59 am

Eofor wrote:
As to your blanket a look at a few reviews show it being a capable blanket but one that probably isn't ideal for ranger work.
This review is reasonably thorough.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... ektos-wool

Ah, I had not seen that review. Good to know. I suppose I will have to be more thorough in my research :P
“He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved.”
Eofor
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Postby Eofor » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:46 pm

The Riff Wizard wrote:Ah, I had not seen that review. Good to know. I suppose I will have to be more thorough in my research :P

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I have a fair bit of kit that I purchased and didn't know it wasn't suitable until it failed on the trail.

Research and learn from others experience, never be afraid to ask.
For seven days without eating or sleeping the new king sat, until he stood and cried "This cannot be borne!"!

Return to “WoodCraft”