Let's have a talk about woodcraft and bushcraft....

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Let's have a talk about woodcraft and bushcraft....

Post by Pwyll »

LOL Yes, but in the movie, they really used nothing from Capo Fero, Agrippa, Bonetti.... but a lot from Flynn. In fact, they pretty much lifted the whole fight from Captain Blood.

A very nice homage, I grant you.

Ack, that's the problem now with so many of my friends. We study the fight scenes of the movie and start criticising. Just as bad as other friends who complain about the costuming. Ah, well, each tto his own quirk.

I've got a copy of Agrippa, just havent' had the chance to go through it yet.

Greg, yes, I know what you mean about stopping a strong blow, such as a committed oberhau with a dagger. Not going to happen. Best chance, opportunity permitting, is to try to close (yeah, easiser said, a lot of the time...), using the sword for defense and the dagger to counter. And, yes, oh so very useful for displacing thrusts. So, buth Buckler and Dagger have advantages and disadvantages, and you have to learn to deal with both.

And, R.D. I mentioned your comment about the lowest place in Hell to may main sparring partner last night. After hte expected laughter, he replied, "what the hell does he expect a guy with my stubby little arms to do with a long armed ape like you?" :lol:

Ah, well, just a few hours until recreational violence...
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Alot of different styles here. Most of them outside my period of interest, but regarding parrying the oberhau which in this case given the stated force of the blow which strikes me as proper mortschlag/ murder stroke AKA stroke of wrath,,,the educated fighter will remember "the stroke of wrath threatens with the point" IE its a brisk attack to the opposing blade to create an opening to thrust, so it might be well to void the stroke altogether or if his plans come off he will thrust before you recover... else your man will try to wind at your parry and thrust , forcing you, if your quick enough, to ward in kron to open him up for a thrust with your second weapon....But theres a many slip betwixt a cup and a lip....

However if we're talking about a brutish fighter or "buffalo" as the germans called them, simply ward to ochs and thrust or better still when he telegraphs his plans attack him. Its good advice never to wait for your man, take the initative, attack any opening he gives you.

Question: Is Agrippa the text with the naked dudes and the bird spits? :P :mrgreen:

Pwyll, sounds like a jovial lot of swordmen you train with, my compliments to you all :)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

Pwyll wrote:LOL Yes, but in the movie, they really used nothing from Capo Fero, Agrippa, Bonetti.... but a lot from Flynn. In fact, they pretty much lifted the whole fight from Captain Blood.
yeah, i know, i just haven't managed to persuade
R.D.Metcalf wrote: Question: Is Agrippa the text with the naked dudes and the bird spits? :P :mrgreen:
dunno, most of them had naked people somewhere in their manuals, aggripa is the one who had diagrams showing the geometrical proof of why his methods were the best
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

Hey, guys, yeah, Agrippa has the naked dudes. Then again, I think several might. Those fight manuels weren't only to show the skill of the author, but a chance for the artist to show his skill, as well. Or it could be possible is was just showing the points where the blade would address the body..

R.D. Jovial? No, I say! Evil, evil evil! :evil:

Okay, actually we do have a lot of fun, and end up laughing a lot. And I might add that there was a LOT of hand hunting today... Today was mostly sword and dagger, but then we switched that to a drill we call "knife trading". One guy attacks with the knife, other guy defends, does damage, return to sender and/or strip, pause....then repeat from the other side. Two minutes of that has me breathing harder than a mile of running. One amazing workout.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

"dunno, most of them had naked people somewhere in their manuals, aggripa is the one who had diagrams showing the geometrical proof of why his methods were the best"

Just thumbed through my copy of Anglos 'Martial Arts of Renaissance Europe' and by the powers your right....He lays out the geometry of arm and leg movements in a couple of illustrations.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Willrett wrote:This is one of the fire steels I have http://firesteel.com/products/FireSteel-Ranger.html I also have one of these with a horn handle and I can use my knife or a striker. I will post pics if I get a chance to take some.
I mean no disrespect Willrett, but I believe that to be a product of the Dark Lord himself, and it is known by the name of Ferral-ocium-rod and is no fire steel!
This is my fire steel, an old English design.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

I have a sword too, but carry my tomahawk/axe when in the forest. Far more useful and a good fighting tool combined with the hunting knife.
Robert Frost.

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Did you forge the axehead ? What type of wood did you carve the handle out of and could you post a picture of your knife ?
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Peter Remling wrote:Did you forge the axehead ? What type of wood did you carve the handle out of and could you post a picture of your knife ?
This axe head was forged by a blacksmith in Victoria. This particular helve is fir, but normally I use Australian hard woods.
The head seen in the following video is one I made from a modern hatchet head. I tapered the eye so the helve just drops in from the top like old originals, no wedge needed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtDrpahgkQ8

This knife was resized from an original butcher blade that was at least twice this size and too large for my needs. The sheath is held under the belt, not on the belt. It has no belt loop as per 18thc. originals.
I carry two other knives. My legging knife is a back-up for skinning and butchering, but can also be used in fighting if needs be. My jack knife it used for camp chores, making small trap parts and kettle hooks etc.
My Legging Knife.
My Jack Knife.
Robert Frost.

Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Since my last post here I have made myself a new friction clasp knife to replace the later spring back knife I was carrying.

Robert Frost.

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I like the new knife, looks very functional.