Tom Brown's Tracker School

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Tom Brown's Tracker School

Post by Beornmann »

Has anyone taken any classes from Brown or any other organized "schools?" Tom Brown, Jr. Tracker School

Or who trained you?

For me what little skills I have came from Dad, the BSA, military (Lt Inf), and books.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Havn't taken any of the courses but Tom Brown also puts out a sereis of books that are helpful. You might also want to check out www.therangersdigest.com They have a series of books for sale but even the comeon freebies are well worth reading. Not particularly Tolkienish but well worth looking into.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

The Brown courses seem expensive, but I guess someone's would spend the same on a hunting trip.

Ranger Rick…. That brings back memories. The URL is without an “s” . Didn’t know he had a site, so thanks.
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

Sorry to revive and old thread, but I thought I would weigh in.

I have worked as an intern at the Tracker School. Yes, there is a lot of good information there, but I would suggest that you use the several thousand dollars that you would spend on a few classes and learn by experience. Find a few lads who are interested and get out there and try things out.
A boy scout handbook has enough in there to keep you busy for weeks.

There are skills that are a lot easier to learn when someone shows you how:
-fire by friction
-night stalking
-primitive weapons and traps

But, there is a lot that can be learned by doing. That is one of the things that impressed me about the lads here on this board. People are interested in practical things that work in the woods.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: Tom Brown's Tracker School

Post by Kortoso »

I took the Standard class some years ago.

I was tempted to go on and take advanced tracking and the scout series, but flying from Cali to Jersey with camping gear is something of a hassle.

He's gotten more of a cult leader these days, talking about Grandfather's prophesies about the end of the world etc.
On the other hand, he's got good solid wilderness teachings. His books are among the best.

I managed to flesh out what he's taught with other teachers in my area, and now sticking with dirt time and learning by teaching.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.