Ray Mears Bushcraft

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Ray Mears Bushcraft

Post by Yavion »

I did a search and saw that Ray Mears was mentioned in a few threads, but there was no thread dedicated to his BBC series.
Well, I've decided to start one!

This is episode 5 of the second series, so he mentions things that have come before but that doesn't damage the information.
I think this is a great start to some basic ideas and I've learned quite a bit from just this. I'll be watching the series in it's entirety, to be sure. :grin:

http://youtu.be/MuSH7ILi2G4

I like how he's about conservation. I think that, in the modern world, we wind up less concerned with Orcs than with the specter of dwindling wild places.
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Re: Ray Mears Bushcraft

Post by man_of_tanith »

i have all of mr mears Dvd's
great viewing
did two courses at his school-woodlore the fundamental and the campcraft course
i've also met him nice guy laughs a lot
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I agree with you Yavion.
Ray is a great guy (and would make a great ranger, too). I've seen most of the TV programs and went on the bow-making course that they do in the UK this summer (same organisation as you Man of Tanith) and it was soo great - led by Ray Mear's instructor.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

I'm currently watching "Wild Food." Good stuff in there, if not mainly geared toward Britain.
The first episode is focused on Australia, which doesn't normally interest me much personally, but has great analogues to other things and gets mentioned through the series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5pG_CMAAQk

I've already learned more from him than any other research I've done and I can try it all out easily!
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Ray has a new show coming out

The Wild West with Ray Mears - Official Teaser

Internationally renowned bushcraft expert and survivalist, Ray Mears, explores how the awe-inspiring landscape of North America shaped the story of the Wild West. How did the mountain ranges, the great plains and the deserts challenge the westward push of the early pioneers? As Ray travels through each landscape, he discovers how extraordinary topography, extreme weather, wild animals and ecology presented both great opportunity and even greater challenges for Native Americans, mountain men, fur traders, wagon-masters, homesteaders, gold miners, lumberjacks, cowboys and lawmen of the Wild West.
This looks like it will be another great series from Ray Mears. Interesting to see him returning to the US to do more. I think he really liked the large open spaces we have here in the US when he did other episodes in the US.

And the 1st episode is up on youtube already for those who can't wait for it to air in the US
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PMuetP0MUw