An interesting Video

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

An interesting Video

Post by BrianGrubbs »

I found this the other day. Guy does a series on camping with a bedroll and haversack. Here's the first video for your viewing pleasure.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: An interesting Video

Post by Peter Remling »

That was worth watching. Thanks for posting
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Yep, very good.

I personally prefer the standard blanket roll as I find the horseshoe style too confining and hot, but that is entirely personal. It works for this fellow, and others, and is just as viable as the tump line version.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

I think he talks about the tumpline version in one of his later videos, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I am in agreement with you on the horseshoe roll...a little too confining for me. My personal preference is for the "swag." Really balanced and comfortable, plus extra storage space.

Brian

P.S. This is the swag for those unfamiliar.

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Wow! That first series was great!
I watched them all and a few of the surrounding clips that were on Youtube with them!
I learned quite a bit and it truly put me in that woodsy mood I get in when I go back to my Grandpa's teachings and writings along with the Dan Beard books.

Brian, I love the swag configuration I had to immediately make one and try it out, Super! And like you said it can be as basic or as extravigant as you like so of course I am planning several "Dwarven embelishments! lol.

Now it seems to me that you might be left handed as you keep the dilly on your right side but you did not mention that outright, though you may have mentioned it before. Would you suggest the dilly on the off-hand side? How might you then keep your quiver if using this with an archery/ranger type rig.

I did some experimenting and I think it would be very good for a front draw hunting quiver if that was slung to your main hand side in my case under my right arm, then when hiking and not hunting I could just reverse the quiver tighten it up a bit and let it lay to the right or upwards of the bedroll.

Very clever, very comfortable, with a sporran/pouch and a haversack you have lots of storage and it is all well distributed, Bravo! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

I keep the dilly bag on my strong side (which answers your question as to whether I am left handed...I am not left handed! <switches sword to right hand with a flourish>). I like being able to dump the load without tying up my weapon hand. I can draw my tomahawk from my belt, while dumping the dilly bag and blanket roll, and not have any snags. If I want I can catch the swag in my left hand as it slides off my shoulder and use to disrupt my opponents guard as I move in. So from a tactical standpoint, that's why I wear the dilly bag on my right.

For carrying a quiver...I'm not sure how I would do that. I'd toyed with the idea of making a small quiver to attach to the outside of the blanket roll, but I haven't done so yet. Your suggestion sounds like it would be very workable/comfortable.

Thanks for watching! I really fell in love with this setup after I started using it. I'll have to do some work on the quiver issue...I'd love to not have to make new gear if I don't have to, but then having a new project is fun :D

Brian
turnip
Dúnadan

Post by turnip »

Greetings Brian! I think that Turnip and I will have to try the SWAG next time we head to the woods. I love the way that it can be 'unloaded' quietly and quickly. Thanks so much for sharing the info!!! Sindara
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

It's kinda hard to see details in the photo, but I did a three day Civil War event in which we covered about 20 miles of ground in this get up. I used a single blanket, painted groundcloth that is tucked into my belt and a haversack. My haversack measures about 9inches by 11 inches, and holds all of my cook gear, except for the small coffee pot on my belt, and food. I had an extra shirt and socks rolled up into the blanket.
You can't take the sky from me.