Ranger in plain sight.

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

turnip
Dúnadan

Ranger in plain sight.

Post by turnip »

Turnip:
We found this awesome video on youtube this afternoon, and we thought we would share it. I'm not sure if it's an excellent example of camouflage, or it just proves how unobservant most people are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UeEby5oq-g
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Ranger in plain sight.

Post by Straelbora »

turnip wrote:Turnip:
We found this awesome video on youtube this afternoon, and we thought we would share it. I'm not sure if it's an excellent example of camouflage, or it just proves how unobservant most people are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UeEby5oq-g
Did you read the first woman's lips? "Oh my god. What the f*ck?"
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Funny how people see, only what they expect to see.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

It's funny how many males just walk on while their female partner is jumping. Also, how none reacted defensive by attacking the perceived threat.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

What's sad is how unaware people are of their surroundings, he wasn't a very convincing bush. I run into this lack of situational awareness all the time. I can be out at the trails going for a run,,huffing and puffing, making noise with feet hitting the ground or crunching leaves, and actually saying "Passing on the left" or "Excuse me", and I still scare the tar out of people who say "I didn't know you were there!" Or when I'm at the store and have to say "Excuse me" 10 times before somebody will move or acknowledge me, and then they act surprised like I'm trying to scare them.
You can't take the sky from me.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Awesome video but yes it's just the way most people think
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

This guy was a street entertainer in San Francisco as I recall. :)

One of the keys is immobility. Your camo doesn't have to be perfect, but if you are moving around, then the effect is ruined.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Kortoso wrote:This guy was a street entertainer in San Francisco as I recall. :)

One of the keys is immobility. Your camo doesn't have to be perfect, but if you are moving around, then the effect is ruined.
Very true. When I was a medic in a scout platoon in the Army, during a training exercise, I was left on an OP for a bit while the man who was with me went back to link up with the incoming platoon. I got the call to come back in, so I low crawled back to what I though twas a safe distance. As I stood up to adjust my gear and start walking back, an OPFOR patrol stepped out of the brush and I froze still standing. They walked right past me within 10 feet. Their evaluator/observer looked right at me, and then back at them to see if they had noticed me, they didn't and kept walking. I think that if I had moved my weapon up they probably would have seen the motion and captured me. The frozen "deer in the headlights" saved my skin.
You can't take the sky from me.