Bulwarking against Bloodsuckers, Biters, and Burrowers

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Odigan
Vendor

Bulwarking against Bloodsuckers, Biters, and Burrowers

Post by Odigan »

Middle Earth has its share of flies, midges, gnats, and other bothersome - even harmful - insects that plague travelers. And of course, in our own lands, we must deal with the presence of a variety of such nasties. The question is, how did they, and how do we, protect ourselves? Proper clothing goes a long way, and is generally my only defense as I find it least worrisome and most effective. Personally I avoid using any kind of repellent or pesticide because of health concerns, aside from the odour and residue of them (others may prefer the use of chemicals such as permethrin to risking Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, etc.).

However, In the interest of traditional defense against the insect menace, I present an excerpt from Camping and Woodcraft by Kephart, published in 1917. An excellent book containing plainspoken knowledge of experienced guides, of which I unfortunately retain only this bit that I copied:

"...everybody tries some kind or other of "fly-dope," by which elegant name we mean any preparation which, being rubbed over the exposed parts of one's skin, is supposed to discourage insects from repeating their attacks.

The number of such dopes is legion. They may be classified in three groups:
(1) Thick ointments that dry to a tenacious glaze on the skin, if the wearer abstains from washing;
(2) Liquids or semi-fluid unguents that are supposed to protect by their odor alone, and must be renewed several times a day;
(3) Insecticides, which poison the little beasts.

[Nessmuk's recipe] "I have never known it to fail: 3 oz. pine tar, 2 oz. castor oil, 1 oz. pennyroyal oil. Simmer all together over a slow fire, and bottle for use. You will hardly need more than a 2-oz. vial full in a season. One ounce has lasted me six weeks in the woods. Rub it in thoroughly and liberally at first, and after you have established a good glaze, a little replenishing from day to day will be sufficient. And don't fool with soap and towels where insects are plenty. A good safe coat of this varnish grows better the longer it is kept on - and it is cleanly and wholesome. If you get your face or hands crocky or smutty about the camp-fire, wet the corner of your handkerchief and rub it off, not forgetting to apply the varnish at once wherever you have cleaned it off. Last summer I carried a cake of soap and a towel in my knapsack through the North Woods for a seven weeks' tour, and never used either a single time. When I had established a good glaze on the skin, it was too valuable to be sacrificed for any weak whim connected with soap and water..."

"Plain kerosene is certain death to all sorts of insect pests, so long as they have not burrowed beneath the skin, and one of the best preventatives of their attacks. It is used everywhere by men whose constant exposure renders them less fastidious about personal greasiness and aroma than they are solicitous for comfort and health."
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Bulwarking against Bloodsuckers, Biters, and Burrowers

Post by hesinraca »

An oil infusion of st johns wart in sunflower oil is a decent spf as a sunscreen, and healthy for the skin, BUT, it may also act as a repelent once the oil soaks in. I am verifying this with my apothecary teacher, I will report on any bug repelents she comes up with that don't involve rubbing kerosene on your skin;)

Essencial oils often compell bugs to hit the high ground, in which case cypris oil, peppermint, lavander, hyssop, and so on might also have these capacities, and leave you smelling good afterwards too;)
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Something that can be used for the day or the weekend easily and the be washed off and reapplied would be great. I don't get to go for anything longer than a weekend at most and don't want to mess around to much.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

I will let you know as soon as she gets done. There are some herbs with similiar properties to citronella, and whether these need to be in essential oil or can be a diffusion I don't know.

I am thinking echenasia and lavander would do it, but I'll check. Also, depending on the previously mentioned quandary, i could probably find a simple lotion version as well as an oil version(more like bug spray), so we'll see what I can come up with.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

In my realm, we find California Bay Laurel, a tall beautiful tree with fragrant leaves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbellularia
The ancient Mukwemwa or Ohlone added these leaves to their beds to keep away insect pests. Modern testing has shown the leaves to kill fleas.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.