Water Carriers a Warning

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Water Carriers a Warning

Post by Peter Remling »

While reviewing some sites to be included in the library I came across something important that I was researching a year ago and thought it good to warn others.

Natives of Europe, Africa and the Americas at times used hollowed out gourds to carry water for use in camp and as canteens. I was going to attempt to use some gourds for the same purpose in a Ranger's capacity. Upon researching I discovered that when cutting, grinding or burning a gourd, gourd particles are released into the air. They can be an irritent to both skin and eyes and have also beeen known to cause respritory ailments.

I suggest we stick with brewer's pitch with leather or wood for our water carrying devices.
Jim E
Wayfarer

Post by Jim E »

Good to know, I had thought of trying that out too.
Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

Post by Hereward the Wake »

For us northern european rangers this is not a problem, nothing gourd like for us to use! :D

JW
Above all honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary@EHCG.net
http://Www.ehcg.net
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

When I was at the Renfair yesterday, there was a artistic gourd seller there. He wasn't the artist just her brother working the show. I discussed the gourd as a water carrying device and he mentioned the "canteen gourd" as being used extensively for that purpose. He said all you had to do was remove the seeds and fill with water after making a stopper. We did discuss the airborne problems from particles.

I'm going to see if I can find some canteen gourds and give it a try in a well ventilated area. I'll post my success or failure here.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Two words: dust mask. Please. With my asthma, I am growing more and more conscious of my own lungs. You only get two, take care of them.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Eric C wrote:Two words: dust mask.
Count on it! Not only am I going to use a dust mask, I was also going to do it outside, if no breeze I'll turn on the leaf blower. I don't need any problems.
Le-Loup
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Water Carriers a Warning

Post by Le-Loup »

I recall reading the same many years ago, it is I believe the fibres inside the gourd that the seeds are attached to. I agree with Peter, better off sticking to leather.

This is my leather costrel. They came/come in various sizes, and I believe they were carried on the belt.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Water Carriers a Warning

Post by Ringulf »

The only problem I have with all that is...I got a whole bunch of gourds sitting here that I just got from a friend that I was going to do the following with:
I have had that same problem working with all kinds of woods as well. Airborne particulates are no joke! So I supose I will be using my mask or possibly even the Resperator with filters and my dust collector.

Hey! does this mean I get hazard pay? :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: