What's your ideal hunting kit?

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

What's your ideal hunting kit?

Post by caedmon »

This is for an all day solitary hunt. You are heading out for food, either from home base or an established camp. It may rain and get cool/cold but you will not be out overnight. List your kit down to the underwear.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: What's your ideal hunting kit?

Post by caedmon »

Ok, so mine is a slimmed down version of my trekking kit ( no surprise there )

Clothing:

15th c short braies
Wool socks
Split hosen
Linen St. Louis Shirt
Linen Kyrtle (outer shirt)
Wool Cote
Belt
Wool Hood
Medieval High Shoes

Pouch:

Belt pouch
Tinderbox (flint, steel, charcloth)
Skinning knife
*money
*ID
*Cell Phone

Pointies:

Longbow & 5 arrows or boarspear (depending on game)
Bauernwehr
Byknife
Sheath
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Clothing:

Body Linens (long braies, long tunic)
Wool drawstring pants
Wool Over-tunic
Wool Socks
Wool-lined snug hood
Shearling-lined mittens
Wool Cloak, in horseshoe over shoulder
Shin-high turnshoe boots + Utility Byknife

Portmanteau (need-wallet; never leaves my person)+Contents:

Trail foods: jerky, dates, nuts, 3 hardtack.
Fire Kit (flint, steel, etc.)

Sword Belt+Contents:
'Bush Knife' Seax

Costrel+Water

[necessary licenses/permits/tags/ID]

Option 1: Bowhunting
'Short' Bow; 50#@28", 51" AMO length, spare bowstring
Quiver+6 Arrows
Hand-braided hemp cordage

Option 2: Falconry
Slitted 'mews' Jesses (on Bird)
Two-tone bells (on Bird)
Slit-less Flying Jesses (for flying only)
Hood
Glove
Leash
Lure
Bird/Rabbit/Rodent meat, pre-cut into tidbit-sized chunks
Game Hook
Walking Stick

Option 1, the Bowhunting kit, is an extension of the trekking kit; it's the most viable option for me when on-the-go. Note the inclusion of cordage; making a deer drag is a pain if you didn't bring something to lash it together with.
The hawking kit would be something used out of a base camp, or small Dunedain Village where a bird can be housed, and scales are available. The only way to hunt with a hawk on a longer than two-day/one-night trip, which would START at a location where scales are available, would be on horseback, bringing scales along.

If anyone has any information regarding scales in the medieval period, it'd be appreciated. I could go with something 18th cen. and claim Hobbit origin, but Falconry existed and was prevalent in the Middle Ages; ergo they had to have scales, so I think it would be bad form to cheat when there has to be an earlier period answer.

DO NOT FORGET YOUR HUNTING LICENCE/PERMITS. You're already dressed funny...if a game warden sees you, he/she is GOING to ask questions. Once they know you're hunting, well, you're already talking to them, so they might as well do their job and ask to see your ID and license.

Also, depending on your location, local laws, and what season you're in, you may have to substitute period materials on one garment or another with something that's blaze orange. This is, technically, a thread for discussing period kits of course, but keep that in mind.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Straelbora wrote:Did you see the results of the huge genetic study recently done on the entire bird family? It turns out falcons and hawks are more closely related to parrots than they are to eagles and owls. So you're out there hunting with a killer parrot, in a way.
Do me a favor, and never tell one of my birds. That's about as embarrassing as being a male poodle. You know, with the fufu haircut and all.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál