Tracking and other Primitive Skills

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Tracking and other Primitive Skills

Post by Peter Remling »

A week ago my daughters went to Muscoot Farm. Muscoot's a local state run farm/park that has a number of activites in addition to a living farm. Jess brought home one of their flyers because she had thought I'd be interested in their blacksmithing course. I've conversed with the smith years ago, who has a policy against making weapons. Well I'm a blade guy so no weapon smithing and I don't see dropping $85 for a couple of hours of making iron nic-nacs. I'm sure much of it can be utilized for knives but.....

They did have a course on Wildlife Tracking so I called them up and there is no reservations needed and no fee for this every other Saturday program. Being I'm coming off my vacation and it being Memorial Day W/E, Cheryl didn't have soccer. Normally I'm either working early or when I'm late on a Sat I take Cher to soccer.

I was the first one there !

They rotate topics and eventually want to throw in more primitive skills aside from tracking skills, weaving natural fibers to make baskets and cordage. Today's topic was songbirds, what types of vocalizations and how we can interpret those sounds to tell us things.

Very interesting, a eclectic group of people showed up, several from New York City. The instructor Eric is a hunter both firearms and archery and happened to be in the middle of a longbow build (it's roughed out and he's got a good way to go).

They have done regular tracking, foraging and plant identification. I'm going back whenever I can. Next time I'll take my camera and post pics.