Lyre project progress

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Lyre project progress

Post by Eledhwen »

Here are some photos of my Lyre kit build. Woodcraft, I'm working with wood, so there they are.

Still to do; bumper on the soundboard, tailpin, string block, lots of sanding and decoration, followed by finishing. Sounds like a lot, but not so much.

They will have Númenorean decorative elements in the for of things like the Star of Eärendil, Elanor, Seabird derived elements, and Nautical bits.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Lyre project progress

Post by Elleth »

Very cool!

I can't wait to see your designs!

(Good to see you around again, by the way. :) )
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

That's going to be beautiful! Is that top piece basically dovetailed in place?

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Sort of. It is not an actual dovetail joint. More like a log joint, but the joint is slanted in opposite directions on either side of the arms.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Ok, I see it now. Never would have occurred to me to do it that way. Makes perfect sense though.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

It's a kit. Not how I would have done it, or will do it in the future, but there it is.

I am building these kits for some experience before going to build-from-blueprint and, in the end, build entirely from scratch and my own plans.

Remaining kits; Native American flute, bowed psaltery, and a harp kit I have to finish.

In the wings from blueprint; performance hammered dulcimer, 26 string harp, bouzouki.

I should have a go from my own derived plans, or at least, be preparing to do so, by years' end. Or so it is to be hoped.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Wow, what a fantastic project! I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Neat-o!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Looking good! Next, you will have to play for us!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Ah, well, to hear that we'd have to be at a Ranger Moot; I haven't got recording gear and am unlikely to acquire any. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Eledhwen wrote:Ah, well, to hear that we'd have to be at a Ranger Moot; I haven't got recording gear and am unlikely to acquire any. ;)
A Ranger Moot would be fantastic! Or you could play *really* loud ;)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

LOL! Well, playing really loud doesn't really work. It distorts the sound pretty significantly. There is no jack in this instrument so I cannot attach it to an amplifier. Changes in volumer are part and parcel of the storytelling so going loud would screw it up pretty well.

A Ranger Moot would be nice, but the probability of my making any is remote. I do not travel far from home and as far as I know, I am the only Ranger in Massachusetts.

If I get a still day and I'm out and about, my camera *might* pick up something, but it isn't primarily a video camera, rather, a small digital camera than can shoot video.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Progress for today, despite draining sinuses. Not as much as I would like, but it will do. I learned a lot just from today. There are some gouges from splintering on the soundboard to one side of the saddle slot, but I don't expect them to be a problem once I have the soundboard beveled. There is always putty if I need it. Getting closer to decoration phase.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

At long last, an update.

The project nears completion. It still needs some more finish coats and fine sanding, but it is essentially done from a construction standpoint.

From a decorative standpoint...well, I was thinking of painting a number of elements onto it...but I have come to think less is more in that department. It is pretty as it is. I have penciled in my name in the Tengwar script on the bezant in the middle of the tailpiece there...and I may add one or two more small items...a star, perhaps another word or two, but I may not. As I say, I have come to think less is more.

A bit of provenance. This lyre is derived from one called the Tartessian Lyre. This ancient lyre, carvings of which have been found on stelae dating back to the 8th Century BCE, is named for a semi-mythical city that was located on the coast of the Iberian peninsula. This city was named Tartessos...from which Tartessian. It is thought the lyre actually dates back to the 10th Century BCE. That is some lineage. Mine looks a little different, and is much smaller, because it is derived from the original and changed to be more unique to the company that made the kit. Me being me, and now knowing what I know, I simply have to have a go at a 15 string Tartessian Lyre like the one on the stelae. Because I complicate the hell out of my life. For now though, I leave you with these two photos;

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Lovely work Eledhwen!

I can almost hear it's dulcet tones, BTW when you get it done I am sure we would love to hear it played! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: