Video/Youtube Bushcraft Resources

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Long Log Fires

Post by Taurinor »

Far North Bushcraft and Survival has a video showing a slightly modified version of that fire lay where the logs are stacked, instead of laying next to each other on the ground. It makes the fire self-feeding, to an extent.

- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

That is an interesting fire lay.

I think that you have to be sure that the wood used for the logs is good and dead or else it might not last when the kindling burns down.

One thing that I would disagree with is that he recommends about 3' of log per person. I think that, as a minimum, you would want the length of the logs (for this kind of fire) to be equal to your height--say 6' long.
Harper
Haeropada

Pack Sack

Post by Harper »

Simple. Effective. Good to know in a pinch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr3G2NUyQKE
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

A 6' long fire, while seeming practical due to one's height, I would see as excessive and hazardous. The head and torso are the most important parts to keep warm...the limbs can manage themselves alright with much less.

Add to that the increased risk of rolling into/onto your fire when it's 6' long, and you've got a serious issue. Keeping enough fuel up for that big of a fire would be a challenge, too, and managing to leave the area looking unused would be next to impossible. I'd err on the side of caution, and keep fires a more manageable size. If you need your heat dispersed more widely, get creative with some heat reflector rocks.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

The Long Log Fire is meant for survival or really cold weather. I think the guy in the first video was in Maine during the Winter and using a wool blanket and tarp. A smaller fire wouldn't have been very effective in those conditions. He even makes a normal campfire towards the end of the video in order to make the comparison.

No question, it will definitely require a lot of wood.

I don't know that a 6' fire is any more dangerous to a sleeper than a 3' fire. Also, you should keep a fire like that a good arms length away. Close enough to stoke but still allowing for safety. Also, you should only consider a set up like this while using/wearing wool. Wool is fire retardant.

I absolutely agree with you on the reflectors.
Harper
Haeropada

Self Feeding Fire Lay

Post by Harper »

Greg had expressed some legitimate concerns regarding the manageability, amount of fuel and the "leave no trace" problems associated with a Long Log Fire.

The Long Log Fire is meant for survival or for a wool blanket shelter set-up in really cold weather.

This is a Self Feeding Fire Lay which can be used for more temperate conditions. The Self Feeding Fire Lay was a favorite of Nessmuk's (George Washington Sears).

Here is a good version of one:

Harper
Haeropada

Hammocks--Ranger Style

Post by Harper »

Here is a simple hammock that can be made with items that a Ranger typically carries in his kit:

This would be good in a situation where it is raining. CBS (Cold Butt Syndrome) is the biggest problem with hammocks. Obviously, you would need a strong blanket for this kind of set up.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: Primitive Boiling Vessel

Post by Kortoso »

Mind you, the rocks will pick up ashes from the fire and will deposit the ashes into your water.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Hammocks--Ranger Style

Post by Manveruon »

I actually noticed this video linked in the Youtube channel of another one of the videos you posted. Definitely looks like a good setup - I just don't think I'd want to carry around that sheepskin, haha. But overall, I may have to think about trying out something similar this summer.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Harper
Haeropada

Pine Blooms And Trail Nibbles

Post by Harper »

Here is a real quick video on some wild Spring edibles:

Rangers would know this.
Harper
Haeropada

Water Well for Filtering

Post by Harper »

Here is one way to filter water from a water source:

I would let the sediment settle until it was clear. Then I would boil it.

There are other mechanical methods using filtering different layers of media, but this one is good to know.
Harper
Haeropada

Emergency Pocket Water Filter

Post by Harper »

Here is a procedure to make an emergency pocket water filter:

I would still boil the water.
Harper
Haeropada

Beaver Chewing A Sapling

Post by Harper »

There is an easy "trick" to cutting down a sapling with a knife:

Harper
Haeropada

3 Tier Survival Water Filter

Post by Harper »

Continuing on the topic of potable water...

I would still boil the water to kill any organics that made it through.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Beaver Chewing A Sapling

Post by Manveruon »

Great tip, thanks!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains