Shelter Setup

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Shelter Setup

Post by E.MacKermak »

For those of you who might not have seen it on the FB page, it was recommended I re-post it here. I have been out of sight for some time so there are plenty of you I don't know, but some recent research has re-kindled my love for the ME Ranger life. I took some time last week while I was off of work (for the first time in I can't remember when) to try setting my tarp in a new (to me) shelter style. I cut the poles from here on my property while clearing a few small saplings and decided to keep them for use in those places where they get mad if you cut trees. Since I actually set this up on a spot on my property where it would have put a hill in the middle of my back, I did not sleep in it, but I could have; there was plenty of room for my 6'5" self and gear. I went ahead and tried my hand at starting a fire with flint and steel and then cooking a beef and barley stew in the fire pit you can see in the pics. I use the area for relaxing and practicing skills before trying them in the wild. I will definitely be trying to get out more often.

EMK
Attachments
Tarp shelter 4.jpg
Tarp shelter 4.jpg (206.31 KiB) Viewed 11789 times
Tarp shelter 1.jpg
Tarp shelter 1.jpg (212.35 KiB) Viewed 11789 times
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Shelter set up

Post by Taurinor »

That's a very cool set-up, and it's great that you have a "test" area in which to practice! If you don't mind my asking, what size tarp are you using? Do you think it would be possible to do a set-up similar to that by tying a line to the peak, throwing it over a branch, and lifting it that way instead of cutting poles?
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Shelter set up

Post by E.MacKermak »

The tarp is a 9'x9' piece of 12 oz painter's tarp. One of the things I like about it is the various ways I could set it up. With a nearby tree I could run a rope from the tarp to the tree or over a branch to support the front. I could use my hiking stick (or spear) as a single front pole. If I was planning to spend only one night, I would not bother with the three poles, but if I know I might be there for a couple of days before moving on, the three pole system seemed more stable without the need for guy lines which would allow me to put this up very near a fire with a reflector wall which would give me plenty of warmth in winter. I really hate cold weather.

EMK
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: Shelter Setup

Post by Kortoso »

I hate the cold too.

The tripod is the stablest of structures. Full marks.

Looks like this design also provides a place to hang your gear for quick and easy access. For those of us in a relaxed and civilized setting, we tend to leave our kit laying about; in a real combat situation, you need to have your $#!+ in one sock, as it were, easy to grab and use or pick up and leave.

I also like how it provides wind protection and allows heat from the fire to come in. Very efficient I think.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.