Native Walking

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

Native Walking

Post by Harper »

I purchased this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Nature- ... R1EMJXRKDQ

because I have this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Entering-Mind-Tr ... 1_1&sr=8-1

These two books deal with those transcendent abilities, awareness and connection that are attributed to Rangers and are considered "magical." I have found them to be quite good. As is typical for these kinds of things, there are certain mechanical skills that have to be mastered first. This new book deals with a wide variety of topics including camouflage, walking silently and silent canoeing.

Here are two videos--the first a summary and the second the full length version--that deal with "Native Walking":

Some of the students definitely needed practice. I would echo one of the commenters who said that you should be careful about stepping over logs--especially if you live in snake country.

You can even practice Silent Walking inside your house. Don't slam doors , pick up your knees, slowly lower your weight, etc. There is a lot to walking silently (terrain, different types of foot contact, etc.) , but this is an easy place to start to learn. Also, remember that you won't be 100% silent so you want the sounds that you generate to blend into the surrounding background noise.

I thought some of you might find this interesting.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Native Walking

Post by Udwin »

For what it's worth, a little websearching shows that 'Tamarack Song' (Dan Konen) is an individual with quite the negative reputation among both past students and actual Native Americans...
It's fine to want to learn how to walk quietly in the woods, but this fellow and his whole 'Master Woods-teacher/repository of secret ancient knowledge' style just smacks of New Agey pseudo-spiritual quackery and Native-culture appropriation...I'd take him and his 'teachings' with more than a grain of salt.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

I hear you. Thank you for the warning. I assure you, I am the skeptical type.

I'm reminded of another individual that I've met a few times who claimed to be taught by a wandering Apache. I'm going to be polite and say that I remain skeptical. But, having a certain level of proficiency myself, I assure you that that individual possesses real skills. I don't particularly care about how he got them.

In this instance, the video is about a mechanical skill. You will be to judge the relative value of its lessons fairly quickly. If they don't work, throw them away.

Also, the video is free.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I would echo what Udwin has shared. It must be very tempting to set oneself up as a scion of an ancient native tradition when what you have is mostly common-sense woodcraft.

There are plenty of people (white folk purporting to teach American Indian traditions) whom I might call "plastic shamans". I reckon that as long as you know what you are dealing with, learn what you can from them, throw away what doesn't work for you.
Harper wrote: Some of the students definitely needed practice. I would echo one of the commenters who said that you should be careful about stepping over logs--especially if you live in snake country.

You can even practice Silent Walking inside your house. Don't slam doors , pick up your knees, slowly lower your weight, etc. There is a lot to walking silently (terrain, different types of foot contact, etc.) , but this is an easy place to start to learn. Also, remember that you won't be 100% silent so you want the sounds that you generate to blend into the surrounding background noise.

I thought some of you might find this interesting.
Actually, in rattlesnake country, I've learned to try to make a bit of noise. I let my feet fall heavy on the earth so the vibrations warn my serpent cousins of my approach. They can't hear in the manner that we do, and may be startled if we arrive too silently.

But it's definitely a crucial woodcraft skill to be able to walk quietly. Thank you for bringing it up.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Yeah...anyone who starts their video(s) touting their experiences with natives and extensive knowledge before showing you anything generally doesn't get a full watch from me. If you find sources that build their reputations on skills and let others brag about their abilities, you've found someone who's genuinely interested in teaching, rather than personal ego-boosting.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I'd pick up Tom Brown Jr's books first. His heritage is clouded as well, but the information he presents is complete, and works well as far as I can tell.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Kortoso wrote:I'd pick up Tom Brown Jr's books first. His heritage is clouded as well, but the information he presents is complete, and works well as far as I can tell.
I have them. I read them several times.

I also met Tom a couple of times. He was a good guy.

True, he could spin a yarn, but he definitley has skills. I don't really care who taught them to him.

His books are definitely worth getting, reading and putting into practice. I personally would (and did) buy them first. But, IMO, the books I cited above are also worthwhile.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Thought I would share this here. I received this from Mr Konen a few days ago - it had recipient list of <15, so I'm guessing it was sent out to those folks who have been in touch with him previously.
Being a prolific writer, director of the Teaching Drum Outdoor School, Natural Resources Committee chair, and counselor, I don't think anyone would question that I could use an assistant. Yet I don't feel comfortable with the term, as it implies a hierarchical relationship. More accurately, I'm looking for a colleague-a co-conspirator. I am deeply involved in the healing and renewal work for remembering what it is to be human, and for living again with honor and respect for all life. I am dedicated above all to having fun, living well, and creating strong, lasting relationships. I want to team up with someone toward these ends, as together we can accomplish so much more than alone. I'm looking for a person who encourages-better yet, demands-my best, and who wants a supportive venue for expressing his/her best.

I'd prefer someone who, like me, is unorthodox and revels in pushing the edge. I write books and offer courses that lure people out of their comfort zones, to engage in a life that's worth living. This involves outreach, correspondence, distribution, and webpage maintenance, along with some writing, research, editing, and publishing. And then there is whatever else comes up, which could be anything from wild food foraging or organizing a trance dance to native habitat restoration. The bottom line is that there is never a dull moment!

So, what's it like to work with me? I just got this from a compadre: "I wanted to write a quick note to say 'Thank you' as we approach the two-year mark since we've begun working together. In reflecting, I am so grateful for the way that I've matured as a writer, a young man, and a community member from working with you. As my supervisor, you've always given me encouragement to learn more, be creative, and share my thoughts. As a peer, you've really created a space where I feel safe expanding my awareness in new directions."

Most important to me is that my cohort feel fulfilled and be growing as a person. He/she will have the opportunity to work closely with me and learn a range of entrepreneurial, communication, and personal-fulfillment skills that will enrich his/her life, no matter what his/her passions or life goals. In addition, aspiring writers have a built-in creative writing mentorship with an award-winning author. And I will grow bountifully as well from the sharing.

This is an in-house position. Enchanting woodland lodging and all-organic meals are provided, along with an impressive list of fringe benefits and a monthly stipend.
If all of this resonates with who you are-and if you are ready to take a walk on the wild side-please contact me for an interview.

Tamarack 715-546-2944; Tamarack@teachingdrum.org

PS Please send this to your friends and post it on your social networks.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Le-Loup
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Le-Loup »

It is often amazing to some of us how little some people know. We that live this life tend to forget that the habits & knowledge we have is not gained without experience. To be a part of nature you first have to understand that you are an animal, no different from any other animal. Some animals in various situations have advantages over other animals, some animals regardless of species are smart & some not so smart. It is an individual thing, not a species trait. If you want to learn, if you want to be one with the rest of the animal world, then you need to spend time in the outdoors observing & getting close to other animals. If you have a love of the outdoors, you will learn.
Keith.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.