How To Make A Quick Camping Seat

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

How To Make A Quick Camping Seat

Post by Harper »

A cool idea:

Make sure that your cordage is strong!

One of the commenters suggested that you remove the shemagh and you have a field toilet.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: How To Make A Quick Camping Seat

Post by Udwin »

What happened to just sitting on the ground or a rock?
I have a very hard time believing anyone traveling in a Middle-earth context would spend the time or energy to 'bushcraft' up a tripod chair to sit around their camp, least of all one of the Dunedain, who we might assume would be more interested in keeping a low profile and/or small footprint while on patrol.

The only people I might imagine making use of a portable chair in the field might be something like a waggon-caravan of merchants or traders (owing to the availability of pack animals). In the interest of this forum's original mission, if one wanted a lightweight folding furniture with actual historic pedigree and ancient northern European context, there's always this type of Nordic Bronze Age stool, dated to the 1300s BCE.

Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Udwin wrote:What happened to just sitting on the ground or a rock?
I have a very hard time believing anyone traveling in a Middle-earth context would spend the time or energy to 'bushcraft' up a tripod chair to sit around their camp, least of all one of the Dunedain, who we might assume would be more interested in keeping a low profile and/or small footprint while on patrol.
Really?

How about for rain?

Snow?

It doesn't seem like it would take too much time or energy to craft such a seat. Rangers would have had to have been masters of crafting things in the wild precisely because they couldn't afford to carry around extraneous gear like the example you showed. They would also have known when it was appropriate to make/use such a field expedient.

Also, by all accounts, ancient Europe/Arnor had trees. So I don't see a problem there.

I suppose we will just have to disagree.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

The time it takes to make a chair in a raining/similar foul weather situation would more likely be spent on setting up a shelter, and then huddling down for the night. There are plenty of ways to avoid sitting in mud or snow that don't involve construction. I have to side with Udwin, here...a downed log with a tarp over it does the trick for me.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.