Whats your program for ranger fitness?

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: Whats your program for ranger fitness?

Post by Kortoso »

This is my workout:
http://youtu.be/SKGF-ErsJiI

Seriously, I am inspired by it, and I've taken some MovNat instruction, but not enough.
MovNat's philosophy, as I understand it, is to get back to primal movements, rather than indulging in abstract exercises, such as hoisting stainless-steel barbells or sitting in some machine dedicated to a selected muscle group, in an air-conditioned gym, and the like.

Of course, I still work out in the club, and I've been known to use a treadmill or two. :P

When you're moving overland, off-trail, as it were, you're ducking under, stepping over and stooping, scrambling up hills and clambering over boulders, sometimes climbing trees to see a greater distance. I try to make my workout mimic these movements so I am not too beat up after a hike.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Hmmm

well every day I do 30-60 push ups on knuckles and alternate to elevated every second day. I do 90 crunches, frogs, cycle kicks etc and vary that every day. I run twice a week and do some weight training between arms, shoulders, back, legs. In addition I go to a trampoline park once a week and climb the rope, work on wall flips and such during the winter and then come spring I do it all on solid ground. Also come summer I switch sword study between Kenjitsu, Iai-Do and European sword combat twice a week and participate in mock battles in a large scale with re enactment groups once each spring summer and fall month. I don't really have a set pattern ,m I just keep varying as I add balance training and hand stands and flips and such in there too
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Khazad Kalistenics
I think really hard sometimes, almost till I pass out!
Then, to get an upperbody workout, I move my eyes!
(that makes me sweat!)
I then cool down with some 12oz curls afterwhich comes the chasin around of my favorite hobbit lass!
If I catch her my work out is complete. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Alderic
Dúnadan

Post by Alderic »

Fitness? What's that?

But really, I'm just starting to work out some to try and get back into shape. I don't think any of my gear from when I last posted still fits, and I wasn't even in good shape then. I'd like to get out and go on a short hike or two every week but that's not really in the cards right now.
I've only just started, but I plan on walking/jogging/running at least a mile every day on the treadmill, more on days off. Though I may walk home from work, about 3 miles, from time to time. I also want to do some minor lifting, most likely high rep rather than high weight. Not entirely sure yet. We've also got an old bowflex, so I might do some stuff on that.
So yeah...nothing really set in stone right now. Or figured out, even. I'm just starting to work on a plan for it today so I should get a proper schedule and stuff set up soon.

I think the big thing is more what I eat than the exercise I get right now. I've been working nights for a year and I end up buying a lot of microwavable meals for my lunches at work or for when I come home after a short shift. I'm trying to prepare a lot more food myself, stuff that I can throw in a container for work or eat at home really fast and easy. I guess I'll see how that goes. I find I fall back on chili a lot though...
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

A good thing that most people forget is diet. If you take in more then you burn off you gain. It's simple at times. Eat smart but you can still enjoy yourself, I don't just work out everyday and not have a pop or popcorn at movies and being 36 I'm not looking to out do every other guy out there these days. Healthy enough to fight an Urak-Hai with my sword is a good standard.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Last time I went roving with my younger rangers, I was challenged to keep up with them. So I am devoting this springtide to improving my condition.
REI has some good info on their site, and it's not laden with ads and clickbait. I think I can glean a little something from these pages:
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... ining.html
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... ining.html

Of course, off-trail roving with mediaeval equipment is not like back-packing on a nicely groomed trail. Here is a fitness concept borrowed from our earliest ancestors, and includes preparation for stepping over and under brambles and branches, the bane of many a cross-country rover:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-cond ... rre-week-1
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's fantastic, thanks Kortoso! I will be giving some of this a shot for sure over the next few months.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Bael the Bard
Location: Ranging in the high fells and misty crags of the Adirondacks

Post by Bael the Bard »

This is my new and improved summer training schedule...not terribly interesting I'm afraid. Depending on the season/weather conditions I do switch things up.

~Runs~
Monday -Easy 8mi

Tuesday - ¾ Effort Run 12mi 2+ miles warm up and cool down(total) + 1 hour ¾ effort

Wednesday - Medium run 13mi

Thursday - Fartlek Run 12mi 2+ miles warm up and cool down(total) + 60 minutes fartlek 3x (5:00,

Friday - Easy 9mi

Saturday - Medium 13mi

Sunday - Long Run 17mi

Afterwards I Usually spend an hour or two on core, flexibility and arms. I do alternate the core/arms based off what I feel is weakest.
“Let this be the hour when we draw swords together. Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn. Forth, Eorlingas!” ~ King Theoden, Breaker of Horses.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Ran into this recently;
http://darebee.com/workouts/ithilien-ra ... rkout.html

To me, it just seems to be a bunch of bodyweight exercises, with little connection to Rangering. But it's still interesting.
Last edited by Kortoso on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

Interesting. High intensity interval training. Good for an efficient workout. Really gets the metabolism going in a short period, and the boost lasts for a while. Not the training needed for something like long distance endurance, but excellent for general fitness.

So, tonight was upper body, focus on the overhead press.
Tomorrow is messer work, some technique review, some sparring.
Wednesday, a run.
Thursday, a run.
Friday, lower body, focus on deadlift.
Saturday, sword and dagger sparring.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Pwyll, do you do any Olympic lifts, specifically "clean-and-jerk"? It's fun, once you get the technique down and it's good for combat explosiveness.
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

Hey, Kortoso,

I have done power cleans, and I do enjoy them. Yes, a very good explosive exercise, and one that has had benefits.

Our main issue here has been one of limited time and energy, and where to focus. We limit our lifting to twice a week. It does take time to recover, especially as you get older. And our primary focus is the martial arts. Sparring when you are so stiff that you can hardly move isn't the most productive activity. We've done it, of course. It is good training for fighting when tired. But that should be an occasional thing, not a regular one.

But, yes, working some explosive exercises in there, although they are more of a "warm-up" activity. And that's not a bad thing. Jump squats are good for waking up the nervous system. Oh, and of course kicking and hitting Thai pads.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Forgive me I have already shared this article. I'd be surprised if I haven't:

The Role of Fitness in Historical Fencing

Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

Cool link, and good video. Talhoffer is always interesting.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.