Whats your program for ranger fitness?

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Whats your program for ranger fitness?

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Here in my area we are blessed with alot of rough terrain uphill hikes and rock climbing are the rule of the day for any trek. I dont run but I try to make time for at least 45 min a day of very brisk hiking in the hills around my house, I supplement this with 3x's week weight training and body weight exercises and drilling with axe, sword and seax.

My primary focus is endurance. But I've set a strength goal soon I will be getting my gambeson, my goal is to be able to do a rope climb kitted out with my gambeson and weaponry with out using my feet. Right now I can climb hand over hand no problem, but I wont be satisfied until I can do it at least lightly armoured and fully armed

Whats your program like? Whats your focus? Any goals you want to share? This is really an overlooked topic and I think we could use this thread to encourage each other as we strive toward our goals and be better rangers for it.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Whats your program for ranger fitness?

Post by Willrett »

Right now um nothing but my chick and I are getting ready to start a diet and walking so that's my starting point. I would like to get a heavy bag to hang in the garage. I also am thinking of starting some yoga. I'm not to terribly out of shape yet but need to get in better shape.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Eating healthily and in proper portions and caloric intakes.

Walking, hiking, scadian heavy combat.

Kung fu, weight training.

That's pretty much it.

Siani
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Umm, Ranger fitness program? I knew there was something I was forgetting!

Hopefully I can start with some sword work soon if I can score a waster. We're going camping and hiking this weekend, but one weekend does not a fitness program make.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

Don't feel bad, i hadn't forgotten it i was just avoiding it, lol i guess i have no excuse any longer, ranger fitness it is then.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Eric C wrote:Umm, Ranger fitness program? I knew there was something I was forgetting!

Hopefully I can start with some sword work soon if I can score a waster. We're going camping and hiking this weekend, but one weekend does not a fitness program make.
Well I USED TO run 3 miles, Study Goju-Ryu, sport fence, box, and a host of other things. These days I just practice two forms from Goju, Fence, and hike. Man was I ever in better shape. I refer to those days as "100 pounds ago" nowadays I.E. "I used to compete in martial arts tournaments but that was 100 pounds ago". I really should get back in shape but man is it ever hard with kids and work and life in general. An excuse I know but hey something has to make me feel better.
Winter is coming
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I was just thinking about this the other day! Glad someone started a thread about it!

I run 45 minutes a day. I started this about a year ago to keep in shape for nerfing, another hobby of mine, but it has paid off immensely with Rangering. I hike several times a week as well, though I have yet to do much in the way of strength training. The only strength training I DO do is climbing on a regular basis, whether it be trees, rocks, ropes, or mountains. I had never thought about doing climbing in my gear for exercise's sake, though. I'm going to have to give that a try!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

OH! I do a sit-up a day! In the morning I sit up. That's half. At night, I lay down. That's the other half. :P

But seriously, back in march I gave up soft drinks. I may have one or two a week now where it was two or three a day before. I am losing my waist, but the gut isn't going anywhere. A friend told me that you have to lose it everywhere else before you lose the stomach. I really do need to do some crunches and a daily walk at the least.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Eric same here I cut way back on soda from about a cube 24 a week to a cube a month. I need to start drinking more water but I do drink a lot of that G2 low calorie Gatorade. I lost about 6 lbs just cutting back on soda.

Another thing I forgot to mention that I will be doing is plyametrics ?sp? it is a conditioning we used when I played hockey, it worked different leg muscles and built endurance.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Yes, it is true; the last place to go when losing weight is the gut. Any woman can tell you that without having to think. ;) Harder as we age too and you have to be careful not to over exercise or you'll wind up eating more than you should. Had that problem myself at one point.

I also bellydance so that helps in addition to the rest of the regimen...and taiji chuan long form.

Siani
Nandalad!
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Siani,

you have a good program there! You must be one tough lady 8)

Just so you know, my war band is recruiting :lol:
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

My wife and I gave up sodas three years ago cold turkey and we haven't had one since. I don't miss them at all. We either drink tea or water. Most of my exercise at the moment is walking the Ranger dog around the yard. I sit down most of the night at my job so I have gained some weight that I'd love to lose, but it gets harder every year. I used to run every day when I was in the Army, but at 43 my poor knees can't take that much stress. I suppose if I lose weight I can get back into it, but right now it's mostly walking.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

IMHO. I think a brisk walk is better than running, the only drawback is where you could get by running for 30 mins or so you have to walk for about an hour to get the same results.

In my area in the places I have access to, running is not an option, its just too steep and slippy, in jackpots like that, moving at a fast walk, without breaking your neck, is an accomplishment. :lol:

~RDM~

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Mon & Thu Lifting; Tue SCA fighting, Sats SCA event fighting, & others days I try to take short walks. I have been on the South Beach diet for little over two years. I'm looking to add a Jump Stretch program soon.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

While I like thread I was wondering why it ended up in woodcrafting?
Winter is coming