Falconry - A Ranger's Guide to Getting Started

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Falconry - A Ranger's Guide to Getting Started

Post by Greg »

As per R.D.'s request, here's a rundown of how to get started in Falconry. If you have ANY questions about anything I've said here or anything else, please don't hesitate to ask!

Falconry is a sport, first and foremost. Hawks and Falcons are NOT pets. The biggest insult you can recieve as a Falconer is "pet owner." For serious. If you're not going to hunt with your bird, stop reading now.

Falconry exists for the preservaton of predatory bird species, as well as the preservation of the art of flying and hunting with Raptors.

Falconry as applied to Rangering:
Birds of prey can be trained to hunt many animals, depending on the size of your bird. Large hawks and Falcons can take ducks, geese, and large jackrabbits, as well as smaller game. Golden Eagles, if handled carefully, can hunt coyotes. Golden Eagles, if handled poorly, can wind up hunting you.
Generally speaking, Hawks fly swiftly from mid-to-high elevations, both on wing and from a perch, to strike mostly targets on the ground, though they CAN catch birds. Generally speaking, Falcons dive (or "stoop") from extremely high elevations (the highest flying, such as Peregrines, are loosely referred to as "longwings") at speeds up to and sometimes exceeding 60 miles per hour, at both aerial and ground targets.

For a Ranger, a Falcon or Hawk can be used as a quiet, simple companion hunter and provider. When all that is available is small game and you don't trust your Archery skills, the skills of a well-trained bird can easily fill in that gap. I, personally, plan to save my arrows for the orcs, and let my bird take care of dinner. I'll break and lose less arrows that way.

In addition, Raptors have a tendency to notice when new people and animals enter an area. They may bristle (or "fluff") their feathers at the first sign of an approaching person. Their senses are far sharper than yours. If you spend enough time with your bird and pay close enough attention to it in the field, you can learn to notice these things. An early warning system could be invaluable to a Ranger. Even at a distance, a bird that you've learned to read well can be invaluable.

Getting Started:
Falconry requirements may vary from state to state, so you will have to do some of your own research, but in the State of California, a person who wishes to become a Falconer must first pass the Falconry Apprentice's Exam. Once you have passed the exam, you may begin looking for a sponsor. An Apprentice Falconer is required to have a sponsor for a two year period to supervise his/her training of their first bird. The sponsor may be either a General or Master Falconer. Once you have a sponsor, you need to acquire your equipment (this can happen before you take the exam, so long as you know what you're looking for; otherwise, get your sponsor to help you) and build a mews. A mews is a large housing facility for your bird. Typically an 8x8x8' enclosure or larger, it needs to be big enough for the bird to spread its wings completely. There are specific and strict building codes to follow for making a mews, which you should look up. You must also be able to provide a safe (free of cats and other menaces) "weathering area" which is an essentially open-air place (usually made of chicken wire or other mesh) where you can leave your bird on a perch during the day, as the mews is very closed-in.

Once you have a sponsor, equipment, mews built, and your hunting license (also a requirement, this is commonly known as the "Gun Safety Course"), you and your sponsor must set up a time for the Fish and Game department to send a representative to examine your equipment and facilities. Once they have approved them, you are a Licensed Falconer and have permission to, with the supervision of your sponsor, trap your first bird.

In the state of California, there are two options available to Apprentice Falconers. Either the American Kestrel, which is America's smallest Falcon, or the Red-Tailed Hawk. The Kestrel is capable of catching sparrows, other small birds, and mice. The Red-Tailed Hawk is one of America's biggest hawks, and can handle large jackrabbits and is fast enough to catch some birds on the wing.

EQUIPMENT LIST:
Falconry Glove, which is fairly obviously used to protect the hand. Grommets are often added at the base to attach a leash.
Anklets and Jesses, which are attached to the legs, allowing for leashes, and a place to hold onto the bird while on hand.
Hoods, which temporarily and harmlessly blind your bird for filing its beak and talons, and for preventing it from associating you with potentially traumatic experiences like riding in the car.

There's a ton more, such as perches, leashes, Falconry Bags, traps, scales, bells, whistles (no joke!), but this covers the first few things you'd need to get.

You will have to do some research to see just what exactly is expected of your region, but remember it is NOT going to be easy in any way, shape or form. Your bird will NEVER smile at you or thank you. It will respond to the food you present it with, and little more. It won't be friendly, and it won't be child-safe. Not a family pet; it will be a hunter that needs as much respect as a gun. "Always loaded."

Alright, class. Questions?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Falconry - A Ranger's Guide to Getting Started

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Greg, Thank you.

When you speak of trapping a bird is there a certain age range you are looking for.It just seems to me that a younger bird might be easier to train, or does it make any difference? If so how do you tell the birds age? Also betwixt the sexes I've always had a *fancy* that females were better hunters is this correct? or does the sex of a bird make no difference?

Thank you again.

~RDM~
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg

Post by Greg »

An apprentice has to trap an immature, or first year bird. They are distinctly different in appearance from adults. 1 out of every 4-5 Red-Tailed hawks dies during the first year, so taking one into captivity from the wild actually increases the overall population by allowing an extra one to survive each year.

Females aren't necessarily better hunters; they are simply bigger, which allows them to take larger game. That being the case, females are generally more sought-after.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Greg, thank you for taking the time to honor my request and answer my questions. I'm beholden to you! 8)

~RD~
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg

Post by Greg »

Aaaaand this is why we do it.
My goal:

...aaaaaand why most of us don't.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Great pics, I think Ill go with a ranger dog or like my current pet a ranger cat, although the cats don't do much and we cant all live off bugs and mice for very long.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I am all for compassion, humanity and decency...but that last pic + caption was funny as hell :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I found this link and site the other day don't know if it will provide anymore help.

http://www.primitiveways.com/falconry.html
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg

Post by Greg »

Alright, in two days, October 1st rolls around.

October 1st, coincidentally, happens to be the first day of the legal trapping season for first year birds.

Translation: The first day of my four-month birthday party. I'm like a little kid at christmas right now. I'll keep you all updated on how things go, but it's finally time.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg, How do you single out the particular type of bird and then go about trapping it?
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

You start by shopping at ACME the rocket powered roller skates are best. :lol: Sorry :oops: was watching Loony Toons
Greg

Post by Greg »

Peter Remling wrote:Greg, How do you single out the particular type of bird and then go about trapping it?
A first year (Passage) Red Tail is fairly easy to identify, even on the wing. The red tail isn't there yet, but they're pretty distinctive if you know what to look for.

As far as trapping is concerned, an easily acquired game bird such as a pigeon is placed inside the most common raptor trap, known as a “Bal-Chatri”. A Bal-Chatri trap is a metal cage that protects the pigeon with several hundred heavy-duty slipknots made out of 60-lb or so monofilament fishing line. The hawk goes for the pigeon and gets its talons tangled in the slipknots. When we come across a red-tail that looks promising, we pull over and toss the trap out and occasionally tug on a string to get the pigeon to move around until the hawk leaves or goes for it.
The weight on the string is to keep the bird from flying off with the trap.

Once the bird’s tangled in the loops, I’ll toss a blanket over it, and it’ll calm down immediately. Has the same effect on the bird that hooding it does; calms the bird, and keeps it from associating this first unpleasant experience of captivity with you, the handler. Once you get it under control, you slip your [GLOVED] hands under the blanket, contain the bird’s wings and talons within your hands, and your second pair of hands comes over and hoods the bird. Some people slip the bird into a large tube sock to keep it from injuring itself en route to its new home; others simply keep it hooded and in a dark confined area; depends on your sponsor and what their thoughts are on the matter. But that’s how it begins. In some ways it’s a bit similar to giving birth to a human…a rather unpleasant experience for all parties involved until it’s over; then it’s all fun for the adults and all confusion for the little one.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Do you cut the monofiliment or try to untangle it's talons?
Greg

Post by Greg »

It's easy to untangle. Think of it like a person panicking in the water who can't swim. The more they move the worse it gets, but the moment they calm down, they'll realize floating isn't all that hard. Once we've got the hawk calmed down, it's generally no big task to untangle him/her, but so long as he/she is freaking out, it only gets worse.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Alrighty, Hawking update!

No bird yet. I'll get that out of the way now.

HOWEVER:
I have a nearly complete hawk house. I've had to make some major modifications to the original design which stretched out construction time well into trapping season. That's okay...I've still got over two months left. *crosses fingers*

I went hunting with a gentleman from Sacramento and his female Harris Hawk on Monday, and it was a glorious experience. We took a ground squirrel and a large Jack Rabbit, and worked on some fieldcraft skills, particularly manipulating the jacks so that they scare up in the direction we want (with the wind), so as to aid the hawk in catching up quickly. Flying upwind was not something Lee-Lu was feeling like doing on monday...she was giving Joe and myself some attitude. Rather humorous.

Anyway, it was glorious. Now, on to more updates.

Again, housing facilities are a day or two away from being completed. Paperwork has been filed. Awaiting final permissions from the Feds and the State DFG offices, and then it's go time. I've drawn out patterns for my hawking bag, which is to be a larger, expanded version of the haversack Pete made me, for carrying hawking tools and other related shenanigans. Normally, they're made big enough to handle carrying dispatched quarry as well, but that results in either a ginormous bag that occasionally drips blood and urine all over your jeans, or a big, bulky, unattractive hawking vest, which is also unpleasant and would make period hawking rather difficult. So I'm meeting the two in the middle by making a leather hip bag to carry equipment, and a detachable heavy canvas quarry bag to go around my back that'll be something like a modified snapsack. Probably going to line the quarry bag with leather or (heaven forbid) plastic just because I don't like the idea of jack rabbit piss getting all over my kit. Call me inaccurate...I'll call you non-hygenic.

Anyway, this hawking/quarry bag setup will be wearable and useable with my kit and would fit in Middle-Earth rather well, I venture. Pics will be posted as progress happens, and, of course, the moment there's a bird in the picture, you all will be the first ones to know.