Impromptu night scout, lessons learned...

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Impromptu night scout, lessons learned...

Post by Elleth »

... Hubby put together a raucous party tonight,and I needed to step outside to clear my head. "Stepping outside" morphed into tromping deep into the acreage in half kit with no light but the stars. Fun! You. hear. everything. Awesome, but occasionally worrisome when you hear something moving through the treeline.

Normally I'd tell myself "just your imagination" but I've seen both coyote and bobcat in daylight, so... discretion. :)

Anyhow, things to remember / fix:

A. It's amazing how the light ash of my arrows and white skin of my hands stood out in the starlight. Drawn steel even more, of course. As an aside, it's amazing how much more comforting a blade is than a bow when you can't see half so far as you can shoot. Experience is really starting to bring me around to Ursus' views on blade vs. bow, at least in my woods.

B. Kit issues: my longknife has a symettrical sword-style hilt but a single edge. I looked down to find myself holding it backwards one time: I need to think about how - and if -I want to do something about that (something with the handle wrapping perhaps?) Also, my cloak's too long. I can't back up without risking stepping on the hem in tall grass.

Anyhow, fun time out and gorgeous starlight. I've got to remember to do this more often. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Impromptu night scout, lessons learned...

Post by Udwin »

Oooh good idea for immersive skill testing! Unfortunately the quarry next door to me has incredibly intrusive light pollution. Keep an eye out for the Orionids once Menelvagor rises! ; )
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Sounds awesome, all I have on my doorstep is town.

Maybe if you tied a piece of leather chord around your knife hilt with the knot on the side of the blade, you would be able to tell the difference in the dark?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Try putting a drop of clear nail polish on the grip edge side where your index finger goes. The drop will be near invisible but you'll be able to feel it in the dark. If the drop is too subtle, try a trimmed down pin. You be able to see and feel the head.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

The ancient art of blundering about in the dark! :mrgreen:
It does get easier with practice. I used to do a fair bit of that.
Re: your knife handle, I've noticed that some Japanese polearms have handles that are sort of tear-drop shaped in cross-section. Something like that would do the trick.
If you think having a sword blade handy in the dark when you can seek to shoot, then you'd love a spear! Just point it at the unsavory noise, and instantly you feel safe.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Funny, I thought I replied to this.

I borrowed my first cloak and kept tripping on it. I have a light wool one for warmer weather, and it's ankle to mid-calf in length. I have a heavy wool one for winter, and it's about knee length, to keep from dragging in the snow.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Arrow shafts and bare blades are, yes, rather bright in the starlight, but I consider that a reasonable trade-off to being able to find said arrows during the day. I've had one set of dyed shafts...they 'ran out' rather quickly.

Turn your handle back and forth in your hand repeatedly...I think you're bound to notice some minor differences/irregularities. My Bristol's grip is notably asymmetrical, and is always gripped on the same side. Give it a little time, and you'll know your blade is backwards blindfolded.

I wasn't kidding when I said Middle-earth feels much more real in the dark! It's a grand adventure every time, when the same hike by day would be an uneventful jaunt.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Derp..re aligning things, as it happens the answer was right in front of me all along. I just needed to pay more attention to the stitching on the grip leather:

Practice practice I guess. :)
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Things only look lived-if they are! Pick it up every day!

Good luck putting it back down, though...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

:(

>chastened face<

onward! :)
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:Things only look lived-if they are! Pick it up every day!

Good luck putting it back down, though...

Who are you kidding, if I had that blade it would be going to bed with me. :D