How do you clean your messkit on the Trail?

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

How do you clean your messkit on the Trail?

Post by caedmon »

I've almost always carried dry foods when camping, but my boys are now in Scouts and that makes for actually cooked food. But being a bunch of kids, their cleanup skills leave MUCH to be desired.

It's got me thinking about the best way of cleaning. How do you clean up after a oatmeal, stew, or whatever on the trail?
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: How do you clean your messkit on the Trail?

Post by Peter Remling »

One of the best ways is to scour it with sand. Sand is generally plentiful at the bottom of a stream. Scour the bowls and pots then just rinse them off in the water. Dry or air dry and done . Make sure they are dry before packing them up.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Ditto on the sand.

Be careful about your water source for rinsing. You could fill the pot after it is clean and let it boil to prevent organic contamination.

You can also apply soap to the outside of the pot prior to use over a campfire to prevent carbon build up. Be careful that this soap does not get into the food inside of the pot.
Last edited by Harper on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

I've used a bundle of Equisetum ('horsetail') before in a pinch. It's nature's pot scrubber--has ridges and natural silica that make it mildly abrasive. Carry a bundle or gather fresh.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

There is a really neat trick to cleaning greasy dishes. If you have a greasy bowl or what not, all you have to do is take some of the wood ash from the fire and toss it into the bowl. As you rub the wood ash around the vessel, just as if you were washing it normally, the wood ash reacts with the fat/grease to create a kind of lye soap. Seeing as the two ingredients for traditional soap are wood ash and animal fat, it makes sense! It is extremely helpful, especially with cleaning frying pans that have just cooked meats such as bacon or sausage. I can imagine Samwise loving this technique!
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Ruinar Hrafnakveðja wrote:There is a really neat trick to cleaning greasy dishes. If you have a greasy bowl or what not, all you have to do is take some of the wood ash from the fire and toss it into the bowl. As you rub the wood ash around the vessel, just as if you were washing it normally, the wood ash reacts with the fat/grease to create a kind of lye soap. Seeing as the two ingredients for traditional soap are wood ash and animal fat, it makes sense! It is extremely helpful, especially with cleaning frying pans that have just cooked meats such as bacon or sausage. I can imagine Samwise loving this technique!
I actually have read about this before, but had forgotten. That one's perfect for on the trail.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
imaginatus
Wayfarer

Post by imaginatus »

One thing that I was taught as a wee rangerling is to really work to eat all my food. I'll get into it with my fingers at the end to get all I can. Then I'll heat some more water in the pot, swishing around quite a bit to get the dregs loose and drink down the "broth".
That way, cleanup is really minimal.
For fatty stuff, like bacon, make sure to have some bread to soak up the drippings to eat. Even rice or grits would work for that.
The less you leave in the bowl, pot, cup, or whatever, the less cleanup there is.
For the actual washing, I like to just rub down with a wet rag or bit of sponge with a little soap and rinse with some hot water.
Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

imaginatus wrote:I'll heat some more water in the pot, swishing around quite a bit to get the dregs loose and drink down the "broth".
This is also my preferred method and uses little water (often a concern) while utilizing all available calories. I often follow up meals with tea, so it can be a two for one deal.