Sleeping on the Ground

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Kiriana
Haeropada

Re: Sleeping on the Ground

Post by Kiriana »

hehe has nothing to do with comfort darlin hehe

I have compressing discs in my lower back that sleeping on the ground would cause serious issues and pain.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
appalachianranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by appalachianranger »

Apologies of course, madam. I was actually addressing one of the gentlemen who posted above you.
Have you considered a camp cot?
My lady and I often use one when camping with modern equipment.
It may be a bit farb, but it certainly beats a stiff back, a handful of painkillers, or even a trip to the emergency room!
I'm pretty sure that officers were actually using cots to sleep on during the wars of the 18th and 19th centuries, so it wouldn't be all that inaccurate!
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

When we modern camp we usually bring either a cot or an air mattress... but for Rangering.. I won't bring a air mattress and a regular camp cot is just too much to carry... It's why I prefer a hammock. But this new cot from the video is a neat idea and would bring it even if I couldn't legally cut trees to use it.. I would us the hammock then.. but would keep the canvas cot cloth as an emergency piece for a stretcher if the need arose, or if I could get the wood to use it for a bed.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

How about we use both:
Take 2 walking staves apprxly 7' in length
Make 2 cross braces about 30" in length with a thong attached to either end of each
Slip on the canvas covering from the vid over the staff pieces,
attach the cross pieces with the thongs and suspend using rope from a tree or place the end over some deadwood like a stretcher.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh yeah, that sounds doable.. I would do it like a stretcher just off the ground.

dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

Leave it to Pete to find a good compromise, almost all of us carry a staff on a hike theyer just too handy. as far as comfort goes, that greatly depends on youre level of bushcrafting skill. a way station, or a place like window to the west can be fairly comfortable with out too much fuss this is true. out in the wilds getting as good a nites sleep as you can is vital. a tired and weary ranger ,is a ranger that makes mistakes, and that could make for a dead ranger, that is no good to anyone. as far as comfort its really about conservation of energy. to use a modern philosopy ,never run when you can walk, never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lay down. when you get an oportunity to eat and sleep take it because it may not come again for a while. :D
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

I like Pete's compromise suggestion.. as I really like the idea from the video for making a cot like that.

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Field expediency for the win.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Eledhwen wrote:Field expediency for the win.

Eledhwen
Seconded.

I actually almost never carry a walking stick with me, as I find that it gets in the way. In my current terrain (soon to change drastically) there are too many rocks and such that require climbing and/or dropping off of, sometimes 10-20 feet. I find climbing up the side of a boulder/waterfall, etc. with a walking stick rather inconvenient, and my quiver's heavy enough without having to strap a walkling stick in alongside my bow, so I do without. I could see myself carrying a spear on occasion, but for the most part, I just prefer to have both my hands available, so something like Pete's camp cot just wouldn't be practical for me without having to fell some saplings, which is a lot of work when I can just gather leaves and pine needles.

Whatever works for you, go for it!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

The hammock is a great suggestion and I would go there first as a ranger tool. I have another sugestion that is a little off the beaten trail, but I made it about 20 years ago for my kids when we used to camp and could not afford an air matress. (the kids would not stay in a hammock either, we tried)

I called it a "spiderbelly" and I came up with it because what I figured I needed was a self supporting square hammock. It can be made out of many different types of materials as the need for carrying weight increases but you need a star connector or a fourway socket, then you need four legnths of rod, pipe, tubing, etc (it worked fine with pvc for the kids, the more flexible hot water type) two if you can just bow them and lash the center but each would be rather long that way and not good for portability.

four steaks to insert into the foot of the tube or pipe (if solid tie them to the feet instead)

Then rings, belts or even rope loops to secure about halfway down each leg (I tried to get away without drilling hole since I was not sure if that would create a breaking point but I suppose if you use two smaller pipes with a thre way connecter pointing out it would keep the loop from slipping down) and a hook or carabeener for each corner of the square hamock/net (not a bad idea to weave in a substantial bolt rope around the parimeter if the need for support is there.0

When you get to your camp take out your little four way joint stick the poles (hiking stick modifications?) and put the spikes in the feet. you could cross tie the legs at the bottom depending on the type of ground. fix your mounting points to the legs as far up as you need them (or the holes for the rings are drilled, or at the three way joint) and snap the four corners to the rings with the carabeeners or hooks. Viola you are up in a matter of minutes.

The idea may need some re engineering for portability and larger occupants but the one I made for the kids was designed for cruise camping on beach islands from small boats and worked very well all up and down the eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida. the ease of replacement parts is great if you use pvc (we snapped a leg once but not in its intended use)

Good luck! And let me know if it works for anyone, we can race to the patent office lol! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Le-Loup

Sorry!!!

Post by Le-Loup »

Wow, three in one! Bet I can't do that again, or at least I hope not! Would remove 2 if I could.
Last edited by Le-Loup on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Chris, I do most of my trekking in the winter, and I only ever carry one blanket. However, I carry a spare weskit, wool shirt and Monmouth cap rolled up in my blanket, and I sleep on a bed of sticks.
I will add the link of my "Making Camp" video for your interest.
Regards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUHU1WgLjbA
Robert Frost.

Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Chris, I do most of my trekking in the winter, and I only ever carry one blanket. However, I carry a spare weskit, wool shirt and Monmouth cap rolled up in my blanket, and I sleep on a bed of sticks.
I will add the link of my "Making Camp" video for your interest.
Regards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUHU1WgLjbA
Robert Frost.

Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Eledhwen wrote:You simply need to accept a new definition of the term 'comfort'. Really that is all there is to it. Use pine needles, leaves, various similar items for building up a bed. You can make it quite comfy. Yet you will still need to become familiar with a new definition of what comfort is.

Historical trekking teaches one that lesson very quickly. You'd be surprised at just what can be tolerated with good cheer. Ranger trekking will teach the same lessons.

For what it is worth.

Eledhwen
Good post and true.
Le Loup.
Robert Frost.

Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

I like to use a reflector fire when there are rocks available to use as a reflector.

But I also have a half-faced shelter that I constructed in the forest.
Myself on the right and two group members.
Robert Frost.