Sleeping on the Ground

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Sleeping on the Ground

Post by Cinead »

Gather enough boughs, leaves, pine needles and other duff to make a ground covering 18" thick. then realize while you will survive the night....you will never be as warm as in the house next to the fire!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

You simply need to accept a new definition of the term 'comfort'. Really that is all there is to it. Use pine needles, leaves, various similar items for building up a bed. You can make it quite comfy. Yet you will still need to become familiar with a new definition of what comfort is.

Historical trekking teaches one that lesson very quickly. You'd be surprised at just what can be tolerated with good cheer. Ranger trekking will teach the same lessons.

For what it is worth.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Eledhwen wrote:You simply need to accept a new definition of the term 'comfort'. Really that is all there is to it. Use pine needles, leaves, various similar items for building up a bed. You can make it quite comfy. Yet you will still need to become familiar with a new definition of what comfort is.

Historical trekking teaches one that lesson very quickly. You'd be surprised at just what can be tolerated with good cheer. Ranger trekking will teach the same lessons.

For what it is worth.

Eledhwen

Having spent 31 years living like a varmint, all I can say is: hear hear
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Rangers make points as bluntly as possible :)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Mirimaran wrote:Rangers make points as bluntly as possible :)
That has got to be the quote of the year !
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Seconded.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

Exactly!

Why beat around the bush?
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Unfortunately I can't sleep on the ground.. don't care how much you stuff a sack.. my back just can't handle it.. so for me, it's a woven hammock just above the ground with something for a shelter over the top like a canvas cover. To keep warm and dry for a blanket I do like wool but it has to have a cotton or linen lining on the side that touches me.. as I have adverse reactions to processed wool. But we have several old army grey blankets. So I just need to line one hehe. Rolll up the hammock and blanket up, then all rolled inside the canvas tarp.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRYWXL62R1o&NR=1

hey guys i ran across this vid on you tube,it shows a bush cot made from canvas kinda nifty and just might do the trick for some. :D
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That IS pretty neat, Jolromir. For a base camp such as the Window to the West, or another often-visited Ranger outpost, a thing like that would be a nice change from the hard ground. I can't see it being very useful for a trekking Ranger, however...those notches in the logs would be a lot of work for a single night's camp.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

A simple V notch would work and be a lot less work.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

It's a great idea... but unless you are on your own property or in a state forest where they DON'T MIND you cutting down trees, it could end up being unpracticle. Alot of places won't let you cut down anything.. you have to use what's already fallen down.. and for this you would need fresh wood, not stuff that has been down a while and dried out or it will just break on you.

Would be nice though. I would be able to use that instead of a hammock... but I guess I will stick to my hammock for now. However, might still make one of these cots and try it out on our property. Erich would love that.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

Yeah i liked it allot. and pet's right a simple v notch would work just as good. as far as cutting live wood. most of the time you could probably find dead wood laying arround. im not sure if state parks have any rules against the use of fallen limbs. that would be somthin to check on. i was thinking for a winter camp it mite be a great idea. or perhaps some good rope to go with it? maybe suspend it ala hammock style?
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Alot of parks I know only allow dead stuff already on the ground... but if it's too dead, dried out... it won't support any real weight and could break. I just say, find out before you trek into an area ahead of time.. if there are any laws against cutting limbs or small trees for use.

I think we might still make one and try it out.

Like I told Erich earlier today... at the very least.. if you can't use it because you can't cut trees or find durable downed wood.. it will still come in handy in an emergency.. used as a stretcher... times like that no one will question if you had to cut branches or trees for an emergency. We were taught how to make an impromptu litter in the Army using our ponchos.. the canvas one with the sewn sleeves is definately better in my opinion hehe

So, for me... I actually would carry both my hammock and the canvas cot.. If I can use the cot I will but if not I would have my hammock, and the cot would be part of my emergency kit!!

And yes, a V notch does seem quicker and easier than trying to cut the whole edge off a log like he did in the video.

appalachianranger

Post by appalachianranger »

The life of a ranger is not one of comfort.
Otherwise we may as well be hobbits!
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon