Sleeping on the Ground

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Sleeping on the Ground

Post by Chris Russo »

All right, let's talk sleeping.

Lying on the ground is a surefire way to draw off your body heat. The more knowledgeable among us will tell us the old rule about Twice As Much Blanket Under You As Over You. But that can add up to a lot of blanket, especially when you're trying to pack light. For saving on bulk and weight, a sleeping bag is ideal, but hardly period...

I currently have a six-pound army blanket and a (very) heavy cloak (10-pound?), both wool. I will test this combination on my next trip, but this is half my pack's weight right there. Do I really need that much? (Last time I froze my butt off, and it was summer, with a five-pound 80% wool blanket)

How does one cut down on weight and still have enough bedding to make it comfortably through the night?

Discuss.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I took an canvas painter's dropcloth (9'x12') measured it out 2 1/2' wide and sewed it together down the 9' length. This left me with a open ended two ply "bottom" and a 7' length overlapping piece. You take organic material from the woods or grassey area you're in and stuff the open ended two ply section with leaves, dried grasses, or pine boughs to make up your insulating "matress". The remaining overlap can be used in several ways as additional layers beneath you if it's warm out or another layer above your blanket when cooler. You can even use the extra overlapping area pitched with rope and sticks to form a "tent" if the weather looks damp.

I use a large wool blanket in addition to the dropcloth/groundcloth the total weight is around 5 lbs and not nearly as bulky as most modern sleeping bags.

When you leave an area just empty out the open ended section of your groundcloth and roll it up around your blanket.

I used a painter's dropcloth instead of regular canvas because it's already treated with a waterproofing compound so paint won't seep through. I also lightly spray painted the dropcloth so it looks old and not like a new dropcloth. You could dye it a different color but you'd have to remove most of the waterproofing and I thought that to be self defeating, hence the spray painting.

I also own a Halfmoon Outfitters hooded coat ( halfmoonoutfitters.com )and some drawstring pants which are wool and fairly warm by themselves together thay are lighter then your cloak is. I have a cloak but it's only a light layer of waterproofed cotton drill with an oversized hood just to keep me dry but it's not very warm by itself.

Always bring a least one pair of wool socks, gloves and a wool watch cap regardless of the time of year.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Sleeping on the ground

Post by caedmon »

Being in Alaska, at this time of year, the question takes on a bit of a different cast for me. My vote is a full caribou/reindeer hide, or better a sleeping bag from it.

Caribou fur is apparently unique as it is hollow and retains heat without transferring it through the other side, ideal for sleeping in snow. Weight is another issue, but at these temperatures, I'd rather not skimp.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

A couple things learned from the military. Yes, make sure that the ground isn't going to suck away your body heat, but also you will need something to keep dew off of you. I have woke up with a sopping wet sleeping bag before (in the desert of all places) because I did not take care to simply put a poncho over the bag before I went to sleep. Now a shelter of some kind should do the job. If you don't want a shelter/tent, then make sure you are covered by something water repellant.
Dry clothes: Have at least one change of clothes, particularly underclothes. Simply getting out of a wet undershirt can make a world of difference. Cold, wet feet make for a miserable time also, so keep at least one extra pair of wool socks handy. All this should help with a good somewhat warmer nights sleep.

Caedmon: Now everybody is going to be hitting you up for Caribou. 8)
Sam

Post by Sam »

Have people's sleeping on the ground systems changed? Any new insights after further practice?

Peter, I saw that you mentioned a waterproofed cotton drill cloak. How is it waterproofed? Is it effective in keeping the rain off and you relatively dry?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

By waterproof them mean it has been treated to repell water. Rain will bead up and run off, but don't put it in a depressed area and don't touch the sides when it rains.
Sam

Post by Sam »

so...then as a cloak it's pretty useless, as you're always going to be touching it?
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

If you think about it, Animals sleep on the ground every night. Yes, they have their own wool garment, but if you think like and animal, sleeping on the ground isn't that bad.

Instead of finding a spot out in the open where the wind and rain will find you, another option is to sleep where the animals sleep. Where do you find the deer beds, fox lays and dry spots? They are usually where there is no wind, the rain isn't too bad, and there is a lot of debris.

I find that a good wool cloak, woolen leggings and perhaps a drip cloth above you will suffice as long as you have a nice pile of moss or grass underneath to keep away from the cold ground.

Here in Ireland as well as when I was living in Alaska, there is a tremendous amount of moisture close to the ground. Anything that I can do to get a foot off of the ground will help. A HUGE pile of deciduous leaves can do that.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Sam wrote:so...then as a cloak it's pretty useless, as you're always going to be touching it?
Wool is best for a cloak as even wet it still has warming factors where other material won't. If you live in a very wet area, you might want to try a waterproofed canvas outside with a wool lining. It will be quite heavy though. I know a girl who used to take canvas and line it with blankets to make and sell cloaks, quite heavy but very warm.
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

Peter,

I am impressed with your "stuff sack" system where you are putting dry organic material into your ground cloth, then shaking it out in the morning.

That is a great system. Do you mind if I steal that idea?

I really have learned quite a bit by reading these boards.....
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Kerry, Help yourself, I watched the slideshow on your website, seems to be a very thurough course.
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

Peter,

Thanks for looking. We have a lot of fun being out in the woods. The students seem to like at. Some return for more classes.

I'll use any excuse to get out into the woods. There is always room for improvement for my skills. The Dunedain lived a lot longer than we do so reaching their level of skill is just impossible.

Still, the myth that they embody remains such a drive for learning the practical skills of the life of the Ranger.

The way things are going at the moment, we might very well be needing those skills in real life.......
appalachianranger

Re: Sleeping on the Ground

Post by appalachianranger »

When sleeping as a Civil War reenactor, I found the oil-treated gum blanket a godsend when campaigning it under the stars.
I cannot say that it adds much heat to the body, but it certainly keeps a traveler dry when sleeping directly on the ground.
...Comfort, on the other hand, is a different matter entirely... :mrgreen:
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

i just use an old Fairydown down sleeping bag, it packs down small, is light, is warm and slightly waterproof and definatly not period but i wouldn't do anything else as the weather here is too changeable, it can be 30 degrees one day and snowing the next with no warning, so its not worth the risk
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I use the material they use for berber tents, as it's warm enough and packs up small, also it is big enough to easily provide enough shade for you in the day. Works very well. Doesn't need to be too warm for here, and stuffing it works well to keep you insulated from the ground. Another think I thought of was using a hammock :?: How would that work?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.