Numenorean design motifs

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Haeropada

Re: Numenorean design motifs

Postby Iodo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:44 pm

Inspiration from an unlikely source

I was researching Victorian and Edwardian metal engraving, specifically on guns, for a steampunk costume I've been working on and here's the page of sketches I ended up with after studying a lot of pictures on google:

And I still can't get over how similar some of the patterning is to the designs on this thread, I have no idea if this was one of Tolkien's inspirations or if it's just pure coincidence :?:

Food for thought anyway :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Postby caedmon » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:27 pm

Iodo wrote:Inspiration from an unlikely source

I was researching Victorian and Edwardian metal engraving, specifically on guns, for a steampunk costume I've been working on and here's the page of sketches I ended up with after studying a lot of pictures on google:

And I still can't get over how similar some of the patterning is to the designs on this thread, I have no idea if this was one of Tolkien's inspirations or if it's just pure coincidence :?:

Food for thought anyway :mrgreen:

Oh, yes. The Professor was VERY influenced by the illustration and craft design of his childhood. You should compare his work to the illustrator Kay Nielson. I had a big op

-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Boater Wesman ( Balku'npâ Adúnerama ) bronze founder living in Archet, Breelander of mixed dúnedain descent. c. 3017
Iodo
Haeropada

Postby Iodo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:48 pm

caedmon wrote:Oh, yes. The Professor was VERY influenced by the illustration and craft design of his childhood. You should compare his work to the illustrator Kay Nielson. I had a big op

Wow, up until now I hadn't heard of Kay Nielsen, his art is so similar to Tolkien's, very cool :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Darnokthemage
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Postby Darnokthemage » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:05 pm

I have to protest! The third drawing is actually made by John Bauer, One of SWEDENS (NOT DENMARKS! >:() finest artist, here are some more works of his.

Artist, larper and history lover.
Iodo
Haeropada

Postby Iodo » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:19 am

I don't stand a chance of noticing such things :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Postby Elleth » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:14 am

Well this is cool -

looking through Cedarlore's back catalog, I saw a reference to this thing he made some time back using some of the Professor's doodle-patterns:

cedarlore-tolkien-floral-pattern-knife.jpg
cedarlore-tolkien-floral-pattern-knife.jpg (44.62 KiB) Viewed 264 times

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNKt2vIFq-Q/

I have loved that flower-in-a-wedge pattern of his for ages. How cool to see it in use!

... and it seems it would pair quite nicely with caedmon's girdle-pouch. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.

Return to “Dunedain Culture”