Coming of Age

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elegost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Coming of Age

Post by Elegost »

I'm sure I read somwhere that A Dunedain came of Age at 33.
Ranger of Arthedain

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

Elegost wrote:I'm sure I read somwhere that A Dunedain came of Age at 33.

I thought so too, which is why I've always thought of the 30-35 grouping. Whatever source this bit of information came from, I can never find again no matter how hard I search. :|
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Hobbits come of age at 33. Perhaps that is what you were thinking of.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Ernildhir wrote:Hobbits come of age at 33. Perhaps that is what you were thinking of.
Thats it! Thanks, must of got a bit mixed up, who can't with so much lore in Middle earth!
Ranger of Arthedain

I knew of the hobbits coming of age, but I still want to say I read about the Dunedain's coming of age somewhere. Ah well, I quite like the answers the others have formed on here about their coming of age.
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Just from extrapolation, around 20-21. My example is Valandil.

"Son of Isildur; third King of Arnor. Valandil was Isildur's fourth and youngest son. He was born in Rivendell in 3430 of the Second Age. That same year, the Last Alliance of Elves and Men was formed to oppose Sauron. Isildur and his three eldest sons Elendur, Aratan, and Ciryon marched to Mordor to fight the War of the Last Alliance, while Valandil remained in Rivendell with his mother.

Isildur and his sons survived the war, but on the way back to Rivendell in the year 2 of the Third Age they were slain by Orcs in the Gladden Fields. Isildur's esquire Ohtar brought the shards of Narsil to Valandil in Rivendell.

Upon coming of age in the year 10, Valandil became the King of the North-kingdom of Arnor. Valandil did not claim the title of High King of both Gondor and Arnor as his father had done. Instead, the South-kingdom of Gondor was ruled by Valandil's cousin Meneldil - the son of Isildur's brother Anarion - and the two kingdoms became separated." http://www.tuckborough.net/dunedain.html

The Second Age ended in the year 3441, which means he was 11 at the time.

So, by my math, that made him 21 at the time of his coronation. Coming of age, for the Dunedain, seems to be at that age. Any thoughts?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

Post by Hereward the Wake »

Well that pretty much sews it it up :lol:
Above all honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary@EHCG.net
http://Www.ehcg.net
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

About what I thought.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

Great text-work, Mirimaran!
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Thanks Chris!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Very well done Mirimaran, 21 huh? well glad thats sorted.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Good work, Mirimaran! Although just to be safe, it might be a good idea to check the sources given by Tuckborough.net to see if any of Tolkien's texts actually state that Valandil "came of age" at the year 10, or if the article's author(s) just came up with that concept independently. I couldn't find it anywhere in lotr or the appendices, but it's quite possibly in Unfinished Tales or The Peoples of Middle-earth. I haven't gotten around to checking those yet, though.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ranger of Arthedain

http://www.grijalvo.com/Hfz002/hfz002_a ... ent_gb.htm

here's an interesting article that discusses the life span of a Dunedain. Around the 8th paragraph it talks about when they might have came of age. Ernildhir, the only information on Valandil in LotR is in Appendix B: Tale of the Years in the timeline given (Where he became king of Arnor in the year 10). I've been reading up in the appendixes and couldn't find anymore information either, but I do remember reading it in Tolkien's works; in either Unfinished Tales or The Peoples of Middle Earth (and I actually think there may be information on him in both, I can't remember), but I can't check those as I have to finish buying the rest of my books back.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thanks for sharing that article, Beth. Very enjoyable and interesting. It made me laugh at myself, too, because it led me to compare how much I know of Númenórean history and the genealogy of its rulers to how much I know of the same aspects of any real-world culture. It was pretty sad. Biblical history aside, I'm not much of a history guy... so it was a pretty pathetic comparison.

Let's just say you know there's something wrong with you when you know more about the history of Númenor than that of America. :lol:
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Yea, well who cares about American history when you can learn Numenorian history? :mrgreen:

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.