Coming of Age

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ranger of Arthedain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Coming of Age

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

Ernildhir wrote:Thanks for sharing that article, Beth. Very enjoyable and interesting. It made me laugh at myself, too, because it led me to compare how much I know of Númenórean history and the genealogy of its rulers to how much I know of the same aspects of any real-world culture. It was pretty sad. Biblical history aside, I'm not much of a history guy... so it was a pretty pathetic comparison.

Let's just say you know there's something wrong with you when you know more about the history of Númenor than that of America. :lol:

:lol: I must admit, that is pretty sad, but you're not alone. Being out of school for all most a year has deteriorated a few of my brain cells (and history is a favorite subject of mine too!).

Biblical history is pretty intriguing, though I don't know as much as I should or would like.

I must agree with you, Dirhael, sadly. Numenorean history has turned out to be far more interesting than that of American history -although we've had a few of our own moments of glory, if you will-.
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

Post by Hereward the Wake »

Yes i find it sad and rather disturbing that most people know more "biblical" "history" than they do of actual history from where they are from. Also many of the generally held "facts" from the bible are not actually in the bible at all, or only get loose or passing mention.

Awareness of how things are.. not of how we would like them to be or what we fear them to be....
Above all honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary@EHCG.net
http://Www.ehcg.net
David
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by David »

Let's leave our personal beliefs about religion off the forums please? This a Lord of the Rings forum not a religion-bashing session.
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

Ok. Though not bashing religion in isolation. Rather the point that people knew more about Tolkien or bible history rather their own. Knowledge of tolkien is no less relavent than bible history or any other for that matter. How many facts are actually that.
Anyway.
Above all honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary@EHCG.net
Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

And as a PS. One of the reasons for Tolkien creating middle earth was to give "England" back its ancient lore and mythology that had been lost and or replaced because of christianity, this from a confirmed christian. So while not attaching value judgenments to any form of belief context is always vital.
Best
Above all honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary@EHCG.net
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I thought it was because of the Norman invasion...
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Watching closely with moderator hat on. :wink:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

Well we don't know what happened before the Normans because they swept all away..... :')

Much of so called history is a contruct rather than fact. Whether its made up for and acknowledged as fiction (Tolkien) of whether is made up as "fact" (many religions, political parties, countries ideologies etc) doesn't make more or less real or worth beleieving in.... fiction is fiction.... however well thought out or clever..
Any way i am well and truely off the original thread....
Above all honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary@EHCG.net
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Being an ordained minister myself, I could really get involved in this. But this conversation has gone well beyond the scope of the forum. I'm locking it down until further notice.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.