Positive Burning Rituals?

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

appalachianranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Positive Burning Rituals?

Post by appalachianranger »

Alright; here's the situation:
My lady and I often save such things as cards and letters that invoke positive emotions such as birthdays or romantic occasions.
However, we live in a small space and often find ourselves forced to throw away the less significant documents. This is not only unpleasant but also wasteful, as emotional keepsakes can often find their way to the bottom of a festering trash heap. The idea of burning comes to mind as an alternative.
...Now here me out!
My question is this: Is there a ritual in any culture or religion in which the burning of a positive memento can be used for positive spiritual purposes?
This question comes because I am actually familiar with some cultures where letters to the deceased or Father Christmas are actually burned and believed to reach them in that way. Also, Wicca often believes that spells or requests can be written down and burned for magical effect. In your own wanderings have any of you ever heard of such things, or have ideas of your own?
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Positive Burning Rituals?

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Among my ancestors( The Danes) worldly good were burned with the dead to accompany them into the next world. I am no wiccan but an Asatruar and believe burning does release the spirit of items but *unless in the context of burial or sacrifice*, from my own path, mind you, I couldnt say it served any real purpose. Luck/hamingja can also be tied to certain items so I'm careful what I let go.

But if its in a heap of trash already, its already profaned and useless as an offering and unless you run across Oscar the grouch, it wont be placed in a grave .....So just throw it out and be done with it :lol:

Wassail!
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Yes Wicca does do burning of possessions during some magic rituals. Several Pagan rituals do so, as do many other beliefs.

It's all really what you believe. If you wish to do a ritual burning of your papers, for a positive reason, then do so. There is no specific ritual you need to follow, simply create your own.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

To second what Kiriana said, I am a Christian minister. We have no ritual burnings that I am aware of. But (and here's where I agree with Kiriana) I carried a LOT of anger around from things that have happened to me in the past. I carried it for a very long time and it affected everything I did, all of my relationships. My own pastor counselled me to write down everything that comes to mind that was done to me, or everythig that I did to someone else. Then amidst much prayer, mentioning and forgiving each thing, I was to dispose of it in whatever manner I felt appropriate. Well, being a bladesmith, I'll give you one guess what I chose. :)

So, make up something.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Eric C wrote: I am a Christian minister. We have no ritual burnings that I am aware of.
What, no witch burnings? You go to a boring church. :shock:
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

mcapanelli wrote:
Eric C wrote: I am a Christian minister. We have no ritual burnings that I am aware of.
No, the fire marshal shut it down. But we do try to have a regular flogging! :lol:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
appalachianranger

Eric C wrote:
mcapanelli wrote:
No, the fire marshal shut it down. But we do try to have a regular flogging! :lol:
"And what do you burn apart from witches?"
"MORE WITCHES!!!!"

"...Wood!"

"So, why do witches burn?"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Actually I think if the person actually died from the fire/drowning/stoning or whatever trial they put him/her through, the person was found to be innocent of the charges of witchcraft. But then what? How do you tell them, "Oh, sorry. It was just a big misunderstanding. Go on about your business."
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Alot of contradictions, additions and omissions in the medieval church. What strikes me as odd is how the practice of old troth was a burning, hanging, or drowning crime, after torture that is....Yet all of our holidays were left intact. Eostre, Yule, Midsummer. :lol: The church did a bang up job of keeping the Heathen calender intact. Even generously letting the holy kin keep their days and paving the way for our re-emergence 8) ... Tiws daeg/ tuesday, Wodens deag/wednesday, Thunors deag/ thursday, Friggas Deag/ Friday.

Wassail!
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:Alot of contradictions, additions and omissions in the medieval church. What strikes me as odd is how the practice of old troth was a burning, hanging, or drowning crime, after torture that is....Yet all of our holidays were left intact. Eostre, Yule, Midsummer. :lol: The church did a bang up job of keeping the Heathen calender intact. Even generously letting the holy kin keep their days and paving the way for our re-emergence 8) ... Tiws daeg/ tuesday, Wodens deag/wednesday, Thunors deag/ thursday, Friggas Deag/ Friday.

Wassail!

hehehehe Oh yeah!!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

appalachianranger

I think I may just begin my own tradition, perhaps at the close of the year.
By burning the relics of one year's good times, let the ashes scatter on the wind to fertilize the ground for the new year's good times!
That sounds like a good concept.
Perhaps throw in a little incense or one of the herbs known to bring positive effects.
Thoughts?
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Sounds like a very good idea.