Relocation

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Relocation

Post by Greg »

Greetings, friends!

My appointment as a seasonal Park Ranger here in Napa is drawing to a close. My position was slated to expire at the end of this coming September, at which point I expected to be out of work.

Thankfully, a chance has arisen, and I have suddenly found myself with a job lined up. In fact, I have a new job lined up to start the first week of August. Lori and I are rather thrilled, but this new position means a major change for us.

Rangers, wanderers, and friends of old, the first week of August, this year, I will find myself in Columbus, IN. A reasonable drive's distance from a vast majority of you.

We don't know how long we intend to remain in Indiana, but we're at least going to have a few years out there, we figure.

I will be a shift lead guide on a high ropes course with a zip line, so the work will be entertaining enough, make no mistake there. I’m really looking forward to the work, but we as a family are looking forward, much more, to the idea of a cost of living that’s about half of what we’re dealing with right now.

As far as Falconry, I’m in the market for a new sponsor out in Indiana to help me through my second year. I may not be able to build a new hawk house right away, so we’ll see how that all goes, but if I have to take a season off to get settled in, I have to take a season off. That’s life. Finding a new sponsor could take the better part of a year as is, so we’ll see what happens.

Of course, last but most certainly not least, this makes it very much possible to meet up with the lot of you, in person, and start putting live faces to forum names. It’s been a pleasure being among the few true “men of the west” here, but it’s time I headed out into the east. I daresay, if I were to superimpose a map of Middle Earth over America, I’d find myself somewhere in Mirkwood.

What an adventure!

Now, I DO need this to stay off of Facebook and other places like that, as we've still got some family members we haven't informed yet that we don't want to offend, but I wanted to let you all know. I'll update you when it becomes public knowledge. Thanks!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Re: Relocation

Post by Kiriana »

Oh wow.. congrats on the new job!! Good luck with finding a new sponsor!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Congrats, Greg! You are a lucky man indeed to have a job that you both enjoy and get paid for! At least IN is half a country closer to NC, and maybe one day you will land a job here and then never want to leave :D

Hoping to be meeting you and the Mrs. in the future, then!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Congratulations on the new occupation! How exciting it will be for you to be able to meet up with some of our Eastern Rangers. Maybe I'll have to move out there one of these years. 8)

+1 point to Carnegie Mellon as a future possible college transfer option

I will certainly miss having you here in the West, but you're still going to have to return to visit your relatives in the LA area every once in a while, right? ;D

May the Spirit guide your steps as you pass from Eriador to meet the new adventures of Rhovanion.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Congratulations!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Congrats on the job!!!
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks everyone!

Since posting, I was fortunate enough to have been supplied with, by IN Fish and Game, a complete list of all practicing General and Master level Falconers currently residing in indiana, complete with counties, addresses, and phone numbers, so I've begun compiling a list of people who would be within reasonable distances of me. Here we go!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

OH now that is awsome!! Hope you find one... or two... you like to sponsor you!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Greg wrote:Thanks everyone!

Since posting, I was fortunate enough to have been supplied with, by IN Fish and Game, a complete list of all practicing General and Master level Falconers currently residing in indiana, complete with counties, addresses, and phone numbers, so I've begun compiling a list of people who would be within reasonable distances of me. Here we go!
That is GREAT news! It looks like things are going in good directions for you! You'll be closer to coal country too! :wink: But I would never use my friends that way. :lol:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg

Post by Greg »

That reminds me, Eric...I just recently found out that a coal mining company is actually paying them to leave the mines alone until they can purchase the mining rights from them or something like that...so unfortunately, the answer is no, for both of our forges, actually. Bummer.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I've actually found a pretty good supplier of coal. It's a guy who is fairly local. I wish I could get it a little cheaper, but it's really good coal. It burns hot and clean with comparatively few clinkers.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I've been to Columbus...right outside Camp Atterbury where I was training national guardsmen a little over a year ago. It's about a 10 hour drive to me in SC...a little less for the guys in New England area I think. close enough to make it to a big get together if we can ever pull one off.

Congrats on landing the job. Enjoy the new area.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Depending on where you are in Indiana....you could be real close to me!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Duathen
Dúnadan

Post by Duathen »

Say, aren't the Mad Dwarves out in IN? They'd probably be willing to share some tricks of the trade should you make it out their way.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Duathen wrote:Say, aren't the Mad Dwarves out in IN? They'd probably be willing to share some tricks of the trade should you make it out their way.
They are indeed. New Castle, IN.