Dunedain Stick Ball

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Dunedain Stick Ball

Post by Cleddyf »

what about tackle bullrush,
you might know it as bulldog, thats what its called in england,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_bu ... %28game%29
i'm not meaning the 'tag' variations but the ones where you tackle people to the ground
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

You know the american mountain man had their get togethers. where the played games of skill with their weapons. as well as combining it with course runs. ( ie: rifle shoots.tomahawk throws combined with skill test like starting fires, ) perhaps we could come up with somthing similar seeing that their are certain paralells between the two cultures. :?:
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Southwind
Wanderer

Post by Southwind »

Me and my friends' favorite games used to be capture the flag, smear the ..., and cops and robbers - all, of course, played full-contact. Cops and robbers was particularly fun, we'd pick the bigger people to be cops and drag robbers back to jail by force. Or we'd just aimlessly hit each other with sticks. Good times :)

Some of the games we played were pretty Ranger-like. We had a version of hide-and-seek where you not only had to hide, but then sneak past It and touch base before It caught you - either by tagging you or just seeing you, depending on circumstances and what we felt like that day. That was usually an indoors game, but I can see it being really fun, and requiring much more skill, in the woods at night, with Base the only place lit up...

For ball games, what comes to mind is monkey-in-the-middle. Only needs three people (but can be played with more), good for working on endurance and dexterity, and can be played in small areas or on uneven ground.

And yes, what would a Ranger gathering be without something like an archery contest, tracking competition, or mock duels?
- Southwind (Gwaiharad)
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Hi all. New to the forum- I've been looking for years for a Rangers group, I guess I was just using the wrong key words in my web searches.

As to stick and ball sports, I'm a member of the Indianapolis Hurling Club, and I can tell you that it's as martial a sport as I've ever played. It's also been around for thousands of years as a means of keeping oneself in combat shape. In fact, in the Irish legend of Cuchulainn, young Setanta is sent by his father to the home of Culainn, and practices with his hurley and sliotar (stick and ball) on the way, and uses them to kill a dog that attacks him. It turns out that it was Culainn's guard dog, and when Culainn laments, "Who will be my guard dog now?," Setanta says, "I will be your dog." Hence the name Cuchulainn 'Culainn's Dog.'

One thing that I always notice during every match is how different body types mesh together into a team. Skinny young fast guys might be all over the field, but if I'm defending the goal, when they hit a slower, stockier old guy like me, they often end up getting checked and deflected from the goal.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Welcome Straelbora! Tell us a bit more about yourself and your interests! We have members from all over the known world, you may have some fellow Rangers near you!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Thanks Ken.

I'm originally from Detroit, and in large part thanks to Prof. Tolkien's writing, gained an early love for languages. This lead me to become an exchange student in high school. Over the last 30 years, I've lived in Paraguay, Russia, the UK and the Dominican Republic, and have visited every continent except Antarctica. I speak Spanish, French, Russian and can get by in Portuguese, Polish and am studying Chinese. After Chinese (which I anticipate will take a while), I'd like to study Icelandic/Old Norse and Irish Gaelic.

I love hiking and camping, but life threw me a loop and I found myself getting married and having a family late in life. I've got two boys, one 3 years old and one 9 months old. That's put the dampers on hiking and camping, but I'm hoping to get in some camping with my oldest boy this summer and fall.

I now live in Indianapolis, and have been on the hurling team for the last few years.

I've had the idea of 'Ranger' hiking or camping for years and am glad to have found a group that is interested and hope to be able to get together with some others from here some time to do a hike in full Rnager kit.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
armchair
Wanderer

Post by armchair »

I'm a southsider, Straelbora.