Life Update

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Life Update

Post by Greg »

Greetings, one and all!

I've been rather absent from the forums in general as of late, though it is hardly from relocating anymore. Thought I'd drop in here and let everyone know what's up!

Lori and I are thoroughly established here in our apartment in Columbus. Obviously, we've had a chance to get out and trek in our new playground even, so Rangering is certainly still an interest. However, internet is not always readily available, and when it is, it isn't in our apartment, so I certainly won't be as present on the forums as I was in California. But that's not a big deal...you don't need me blabbering on all the time here, anyway. *chuckles*

I've finished up several recent kit projects that I will post about in short order, including a new winter underlayer, a whole new cloak, a new deer-fur mantle (the last one got left out in the rain and went "kablooie") which I sported at the Indy Moot this month, and a few other assorted..."toys".

The BIG focus, right now, is Falconry. My mews (hawk housing facility) got shipped all the way from Cali with the rest of our debris *ahem* stuff, and I've finally finished putting the crazy thing together. Finding a new sponsor out here was a cinch, and I'm submitting my paperwork for licensing this week. In short order, there will be a new feathered friend to accompany myself, my wife, and the fuzzface through the wilds.

With Jake Book expecting to be moving down this way in fairly short order, you can expect less time spent on the forums and more and more time spent in the wilds. The Middle Earth Reenactment Society Blog, "Into the Wild", will begin spilling forth with new content through the coming winter and into spring, and a good time will be had by all, I'm sure.

I know that the midwest is pretty far away for most of you, so I won't necessarily say that you have to come to us to trek in your gear, but I would like to encourage you all, once again, to get out into the woods and cause some mischief. Be rangers. Let that Tookish side that I KNOW you all have come out, and allow that road to go ever on and on. Jake's got an awesome challenge going on right now, and I've resolved to participate, but I'm waiting until I have a bird that's at least ready to take a walk through the woods with me before I do so. I'd really like to encourage everyone to participate. All it takes is bringing your garb with you to your local wooded area, and take a short hike. Bring some oatmeal and cook it in your boiler. Roast a hot dog on a coat hanger. Whittle a stick down to a point, just because! There's nothing like taking a hike in the woods, and I've found lately that the experience is that much more rewarding in historical gear that I've made with my own two hands. And again, we can't say this often enough: If you don't have everything together, throw on your jeans, your Screen printed T-Shirt, and the one piece of period gear you may have, and get out there anyway! If you have nothing, so be it!

Alright, end of rant. *Sigh* The point is, I LOVE coming to this forum and discussing every aspect of our hobby. I've moved across the country, and am looking forward to meeting more of you as time moves on and I'm closer than ever before. But we can't discuss trekking in the wilds as Rangers of Middle Earth if we don't trek in the wilds as Rangers of Middle Earth, now, can we?

*GRIN*

So in a nutshell, we're all settled in and are happily romping through the leaves and eagerly awaiting the arrival of our newest, feathered family member. I was making jesses (hawk leg leash strap thingies) last night, and I altered my pattern to accomodate these BIG, nearly Eagle-sized Eastern US Red-Tails. We're aiming for late March to hold another full-scale Ranger Moot here in Indiana, so if you're interested, keep your eyes open for a planning thread!

Cheers, and bless you all. Have a happy holiday season!

-Greg & Lori

P.S. Shadow says hi!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Life Update

Post by Jon »

Greg thankyou! Such encouraging words! After what you said, I shall take up Jake's challenge :)

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Good to hear from you, Greg. And well said. Maybe I'll have to go out Rangering this winter, now.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Nice to hear from you Brother!

Glad you are all doing well and very happy to hear your enthusiasm.
I hope you and Lori as well as the beasts both feathered and furred, get lots of time out in the wild. We who are not quite as active will sit around the digital campfire's warm glow (our monitors) and tell stories enough to compensate for your lack of a sedentary lifestyle! Besides, I need you out there living the lifestyle or else I will have no one to live vicariously through! (hee hee) (just kidding I try as hard as I can to get out for a couple of hours each week, but with my recent health problems I had to cancel Duck and gator season. I am looking into the Hog irradication project and thinking it could be a cool venue for primative hunts!)

Just realize we love you being here whenever you can be and that you and yours always add so much to our discussions, while inspiring us by your example. :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: