Dunedain are whom I aspire to be like

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elegost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Dunedain are whom I aspire to be like

Post by Elegost »

I was just sitting down listening to some music and throught to myself, That the Rangers of the North really are for me whom I aspire to be like. They help others, never ask for anything, never get any thanks of what they are doing, and most people fear, mistrust them and some even dislike them. But still they carry on safe keeping free and inocent peoples from evils which I do not like to even think about!

Sorry if this is rather random I just admire them alot and aspire to be like them.

-Chris
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Dunedain are whom I aspire to be like

Post by Mirimaran »

Nothing to be sorry about at all, friend Elegost, as I feel the same way. I try to emulate the Rangers as much as possible in this life as much as I love them in the fantasy life. I am sure everyone here feels the same way :D thanks for sharing!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
appalachianranger

Post by appalachianranger »

Indeed, that is probably my favorite part about this forum.
The world we live in is not perfect. When we read the newspaper and watch the TV we see a society concerned much with personal gain and material wealth.
Many people are content to ignore the world's problems so long as they can make money and have fun.
...But then there are the silent, watchful men and women who refuse to ignore it, who dream of a better world and fight to make it happen.
Some wear badges and guns, while others use their pens and still others just give their time to those in need. Much of the time they are scorned, resented, even openly condemned, but still they fight without glory or fame.
It is an honor to be counted among such likeminded people as yourselves. I can think of no honor higher.
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon
Fallsofdragon
Dúnadan

Post by Fallsofdragon »

Image The Queen of Light took her bow and then she turned to go
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom and walked the night alone
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

I am reminded of US Army Special Forces and their missions. They are, for me at least, the modern version of the Dúnedain. Small groups acting independently, using subtle ways and means, inserting themselves into larger bodies under arms to influence events from the shadows, and developing relations within cultures to defend against the enemy.

The Difference Between Rangers and Special Forces

De oppresso liber "from (being) an oppressed man, (to being) a free one"
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

well said, whether they be fiction or historical, role models inspire all. Aragorn, former solders, parents, Superman..all inspire like minded people and often a lot of the good people do is done due to these influences :) There's something for a lot of us in working from the shadow and helping then being that thankful comment to another sometime later in their life.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'