Music

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elegost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Music

Post by Elegost »

After seeing a link in this topic about Dunedain music (That took my to some pipe/flute music on Amazon perforormed by R.Carlos Nakai) I decided to buy a CD of some of his music, I got one called Canyon Trilogy. Anyway its really nice, Has a very spritril feel to it, kind of like a damp misty forest in the morning. Also it sounds natrual and not studio made witch is a nice feel to ahve to it.

I hope to make a small video and put this music as a background on You Tube. I'll post when I have, because the music really is amazing, just like Ranger in the forest.....
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Fascinating! Thanks for that and I look forward to your video. :)

I've become more and more enamored of my Native Amercian flute. So much so I got a kit to make another in the key of A (the current one is in G). And I'm after nabbing a base and deep base flute too. Haunting sounds. They go very well with harp music; pity I can't manage both simultaneously.

I have my harps; not really great for Rangering about in the bush, even the small one. The flutes are my Ranger instruments; tucked into a single flute quiver they are light and well protected. :)

Siani
Nandalad!
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

By the way, you can see my video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgVzwPaMfiI

-Elegost
Dinendir.

Post by Dinendir. »

Not to bring up a dead subject and whatnot, but I have a love of music. I've been off and on with instruments (piano, guitar, saxophone, and flutes) since I was 5. I currently have 4 different cheap flutes, that have slight variations in the sound, and two ocarinas.

So with all that said, what about the gemshorn? It's a type of flute made from a buffalo horn. It has somewhat of a haunting sound, and it actually came from the medieval era.

Any thoughts?
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
He who seeks peace, prepares for war.
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Never heard, of one but if it period and has a haunting sound then its perfect, I find a Hangdrums music very 'Ranger-ish'.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Hi Elegost! A gemshorn is an ocarina made from the horn of an animal. It has a unique sound of its own that is somewhat reminiscent of Native American flute. Here's a link to youtube videos of someone playing a gemshorn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi-wRi5V ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhNrAPkm ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwo_Nwae ... re=related

It's a beautiful instrument, and very Ranger-y as well!
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

Good video, Elegost. Where is that tower?
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

kaelln, that gemshorn has a great sound! thanks for posting the videos!

Thanks Faolan, The tower is an old Chaple in Cornwall, its in a small village call Roche, its know as Roche Rock, anyway its surposed to be haunted. Story goes that a man with leprosy lived there and his daughter went every day to fetch hime water and food, anyway its said you can see her face looking out of the window. Never have myself, but it really is a magical place! And will definatle feature it my Ranger Fan Film.
appalachianranger

Post by appalachianranger »

Though wind instruments are probably much easier to carry, I have to wonder if Dunedain would not own fiddles or the like?
As mentioned, an instrument (especially one large as a violin) is hardly a sensible substitute for another pound of rations, but since when have musicians been known as the most rational type?
In the books, the only races I can recall using fiddles for music were the dwarves and the hobbits.
Is it possible the Dunedain may also carry fiddles, as their Roma counterparts in our world once did?
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I could see it being a Dunedain cultural instrument, but I'd be shocked to find one in the wild. Perhaps a small harp, maybe, but a fiddle requires a bow as well, and a violin bow is a long and delicate piece of equipment that'd just BEG to snap on a rock or tree in the wilds. I'm working on a carrying case for my Uilleann Pipes, and though they're heavier than a fiddle ever would be, they're much more durable and practical for the woods.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I agree with Greg about the fiddles. Personally, I could see the Dunedain playing every instrument that was in existence during their time period. Being wanderers, they should have been able to observe and study just about any instrument in any accessible culture. But the musically inclined probably would not be carrying around overly fragile or burdensome instruments. Even so, if I were a Ranger who absolutely loved the fiddle/violin, I would consider carrying one around with me rather than living without my music, even if it meant I couldn't carry something else that might be more practical. Music can be more important than practicality in some circumstances, in my opinion. ;) Of course, as Greg pointed out, those bows are awfully fragile, so an efficient case or other means of protection would be needed to guard it.

Greg,

I would love to see the progress you are making on your pipe case and its design, if possible.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Well, for starters, Uilleann pipes are, as you know, are readily played with or without drones. The chanter is going to be sleeved into a leather tube attached to the side of my quiver. The bag will be either rolled up in my bedroll, or wrapped around the quiver itself. The bellows will be hung on the outside, or simply placed inside my backpack, depending on whether I'm carrying the rucksack or the quiver. The bellows will be the most unwieldy part of the rig, but I've carried it before and made it work. I'll get some design sketches to you as soon as I can.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
appalachianranger

Post by appalachianranger »

I've been building a tidy little collection of small instruments for traveling and camping.
Among the items I have are a penny whistle, a recorder, a Native American flute, and I am working on getting an ocarina.
Sadly, I am sure that no Dunedain was ever sighted with a Casio keyboard in Anarion or Ithilien!
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon