Music

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Music

Post by Chris Russo »

Every culture has some sort of music, and songs are a large part of Tolkien's world. What would Dunedain music be like?

When on patrol, of course, it stands to reason that one would prefer to remain undetected, and so music would be a no-no--especially on nights when it's too risky to even light a fire. All the same, I imagine some would carry a small instrument for those times when one is at a waystation, or making camp in a relatively safe place. It would have to take up minimal pack-space, since it is after all a luxury, and be fairly sturdy; a woodwind like a fife, an ocarina, or a small flute, I imagine. (harmonicas and jaw-harps just seem wrong for Middle Earth) At such times of safety, music is a valuable tool for morale purposes.

At times of open war, some instruments double as military signals, such as horns, drums, and whistles/flutes.

At permanent or semi-permanent camps, away from the border and danger of raid, larger or more delicate instruments could be used; folk harps or larger woodwinds.

I imagine that Dunedain music would have more of an Elvish flavor to it than the music of their southern cousins--probably some funky minor keys and keening sort of sounds.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

It could consist of a lot of laments, given the history. I agree it would probably have an elvish flavor to it. Harps, recorders, whistles, flutes, psalterys perhaps...all could be part of it. Native American flutes would be easy to take along and have a haunting sound to them although I'm not sure of their fit in Middle Earth. They work for me personally, but mileage may vary. Percussion is fairly simply accomplished I think.

I have four harps, from a 36 string professional performance harp down to a very small travel harp of 22 bronze strings. It is the latter I'm making a leather case for, slowly. Not something you'd take while snooping about, but something one can travel with nonetheless.

Siani
Nandalad!
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Yes, I have to agree, more elven influence. I think native american flutes would fit in nicely, especially considering the personality strider maintains as a traveling ranger; the tones would fit him well. I think a mandolin might be comparable to a dunedain instrument, but I am only guessing. Are there any supplemental materials on the dunedain by tolkien refering to culture??

I have half a dozen tin whistles, a recorder, a fife, two bamboo flutes, a gumeinhart flute, a mandolin, and a drum. I could see the bamboo flutes being a style that would be easily made on the trail if you knew what you were looking for. REALLY want a native american flute...
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

And what's wrong with harmonicas and jaw-harps? MAAAN, now I gotta go take them out of my gear! :P
No, seriously, I don't play an instrument of any kind yet, but there is a plastic recorder in the desk drawer next to me. Anyway, music is very important to about every culture. This is a good topic. I look foreward to hearing what we come up with.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

For myself, I've decided to have a go with an NA flute..far easier to carry about than even my travel harp, unless I were horse packing or something.

Oregon Flutes has a good beginner's package it seems to me, so I may give them a try. I love the haunting sounds of these instruments and they strike me as...I dunno, elvish in some ways, but that's just me.

I adore music and if I don't have an instrument I'll sing; I have a habit of devising tunes for various poems so you can guess what I did, or tried to do, with some of the stuff in Tolkien's works. LOL My mom was a music teacher, so that might explain it a bit.
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

In any group there are people who would take an instrument over an extra food ration, but for the rest of us musically challanged there's always, tapping out a beat with my horn spoon against the bottom of my horn cup or tin plate, beating the pommel of my knife against the log I'm resting by or just plain opening my mouth and singing a few notes and then lay back and listen to the forest sounds of the mass animal exodus.....

Ahhh, the sounds of nature in full flight!

:lol:
Panday
Wanderer

Post by Panday »

I'm not convinced that Dunedain music would be quite so folksy. While that music is fun, it doesn't seem to contain the gravitas of the men of Numenor.

I thought the way Aragorn sang the Ley of Luthien in the "Fellowship" film was quite appropriate.
"The world is grown so bad, that wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch."
-Shakespeare, Richard III
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Yes, a lament in fact. Which I figure would be common amongst them, although I'm sure they'd have their less melancholy tunes as well.

One reason I think the NA flute works well, aside from its ethereal sound, it can be very haunting and suits laments very well.

I have mine finally so am working hard at learning it.
Nandalad!
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

I've been drooling over Native American flutes for 4 years now. I am in fact, jealous;)

If there done well, the two-flute mouth pieces with the attachable braces and what not are cool because you can then play two flutes at once. Very cool.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I'm not familiar with their sound, could either of you post an audio link ?

Thanks
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

This is a CD on Amazon, but you can hear samples from it. There are other places too.

http://www.amazon.com/Mythic-Dreamer-Mu ... 050&sr=8-8
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Thanks, very distinctive.
Panday
Wanderer

Post by Panday »

A simple recorder is something I could see a Ranger carrying around. It can make music on the "cultural high end", too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ_D1MJHfjM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymghIF1Ki2I
"The world is grown so bad, that wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch."
-Shakespeare, Richard III
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Laments are my favorite.

I play a variety of traditional Irish Instruments, but the Pennywhistle, Low Whistle, and Uilleann Bagpipes are my favorite, and all three are exceptionally suited for laments.

These aren't me playing, but you'll get the idea. The Pennywhistle and Low Whistle have always been my "weapons of choice" as an on-the-go ranger, while my Uilleann Pipes are a fireside favorite during longer stays at a base camp. Nothing sounds like any of these played in a rocky ravine that opens into a canyon where the natural reverb blends with nature's sounds...*shudders* It's amazing.

Low D Whistle - Lament
Uilleann Pipes - Lament
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
mooncalf

Post by mooncalf »

Moo!

I play a transverse flute. Usually my flutes are made of metall and they tend to sound a bit shrill.
So I’ve bought a wooden one. It can be taken apart into two pieces.

What do you think about jew's harp?