Wondering on Strider's literary inspiration...

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Wondering on Strider's literary inspiration...

Post by Eledhwen »

I agree with him being the Law.

As for the hunting...Elrohir and Eladan spent much time hunting in the region so I got the impression it had more to do with Aragon telling them he could supply them, but since they would be moving swiftly it might not be very much. To hunt properly requires patience and time, something they did not have. I don't ever get the impression that Aragorn was an archer of exceptional ability with the bow. The impression I got was that Faramir would have been better as an actual archer. Hunting and archery are not the same pursuit although they obviously overlap. I know great archers who can't hunt to save their lives, and hunters who are just good enough with the bow to take game but suck at archery in general.

I fall somewhere in the middle. I can hunt, and I can do archery, but I am no archer. I can track better than most, read sign, survive in the wilds, etc. I am more Ranger than Archer, more Huntress than Archer. ;)

I aspire to being proficient with spear, axe, and bow..the traditional weapons of the Faithful. :) At one time the Faithful were noted archers, having legions of archers, their steel bows striking fear into the hearts of their enemies. *sigh* ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Andy* wrote:...but no one gave me a snarky reply, as on other forms.
Andy
Snarks, cranks, crotchets, and snips will be taken behind the wood-shed and given a what for.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Personally I think he best considered himself as a hunter ever of the servants of the Enemy :) I have no doubt he could supply himself fairly well in the Wild, but as he was burdened with 4 hobbits, I could understand his concern about food and movement. Your memory serves you well, Eledhwen :)

'I don't see how our food can be made to last,' said Frodo. 'We have been careful enough in the last few days, and this supper is no feast, but we have used more than we ought, if we have two weeks still to go, and perhaps more.'

'There is food in the wild,' said Strider; 'berry, root, and herbs; and I have some skill a a hunter at need. You need not be afraid of starving before winter comes. but gathering and catching food is long and weary work, and we need haste. So tighten your belts, and think with hope of the table of Elrond's house!'

A Knife in the Dark pg 190.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Andy* wrote:To all who have replied to my thoughts of Robin Hood as a inspiration.....just wanted to say thanks for the well thought out replies.....might not agree to the idea...but no one gave me a snarky reply, as on other forms.
Andy
If that happens here its usually not on purpose or its a language issue. We are all fans, friends and here to help each other.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I always have thought there was a Robin Hood connection with Strider. Most woodsman/archers on one level or another were inspired by the old ballads and poems. intentional or not. Tolkien cetainly took it to the next level....so did John Flanagan for that matter.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I think Flanagan definitely took more inspiration from the Robin Hood myths, especially given his emphasis on archery. In many ways I would say Flanagan created a more fleshed-out, realistic take on the "ranger" idea than Tolkien did. But ultimately, that wasn't Tolkien's primary focus, and most information we have on Tolkien's rangers was imparted as passing narrative to further the unfolding of his stories. Something I've always found interesting is that we all tend to think of the bow as being intimately associated with Tolkien's rangers, and yet I think he only mentions archery in association with the Dunedain very rarely, if at all (the only mention I can think of off the top of my head is when Strider says he has some skill as a hunter - and yet I don't think he specifically mentions using a bow, it's just implied). The Ithilien rangers, on the other hand, are of course specifically mentioned as being archers, or at least using bows in their fight against the Enemy. In many ways the Ithilien rangers have a lot more in common with Robin and his Merry Men than the Dunedain of the North ever did.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Stormraven

Post by Stormraven »

I agree on the analogy between Hawkeye and Aragorn - an interesting parallel. I would also think that Tolkien might have gotten some inspiration from Celtic mythology in which a young hero, usually poor or disheveled is found by a woman in the woods and given a riddle or some quest in order to show he has a right to be king. These women are usually Goddesses of Sovereignty in disguise. There is a parallel here between Arwen and a Goddess of Sovereignty, as she is immortal and becomes the king's consort and tie to the land, uniting in a sense the realm of Men and the realm of Elves - in a Celtic sense, the real world and the Otherworld. It is true that Tolkien took much of this inspiration for his world from European culture. One can see parallels with Rohan with Germanic culture and Celtic with the Elves - Westron culture with Britain and Western Europe.
Tolkien may have had been inspired by Native Americans - the idea that was prevalent at the time was the "Noble Savage". Aragorn certainly has this mystique, especially in Bree but has the secret nobility of being the Heir to Gondor. Hawkeye in Last of the Mohicans stands out, much like Aragorn does, so yes, I agree with the analogy.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Interesting, I can't really say if I think Tolkien was inspired by Hawkeye or not. I know he didn't feel England had a proper myth of it's own in terms of history. He felt the Arthurian tales were a little less solid because they were created by the French generally. I think he would have taken bits perhaps of a man he himself would have respected or would have liked to see as a King and put those into a melting pot and perhaps did take something from the oiutlaws heros in the woods ideas and make those into rangers. If one reads the books and watches the animated films or the peter Jackson ones there are differences even there with his character. Not large ones but ones none the less. When creating myth one obviously wants to create as rich and potent stuff as possible and making this rugged man who hides from kingship is in a way very heroic and perhaps that desire to live with the world rather then rule it was just another one of his messages and perhaps not directly linked to any other character he had read about.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Reflecting on the connection between Aragorn and Robin Hood.
Remember that one of Robin's chief crimes was poaching the king's deer. A Forest Ranger, or Warden (the Sheriff of Nottingham), would be tasked by the crown in finding someone like Robin and persecuting him.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I'm certain that JRR Tolkien did not have this in mind, but the Yamabushi of Japan, are "Mountain Warriors" literally. They are ascetics who, incidentally, are said to have founded the way of Ninjutsu.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Very good, I now recall reading about Oswald when the LOTR movies first came out.

Also, the legend of Alfred the Great, mixing among the common people in disguise, can't have been too far from Tolkien's mind.