Dire Dunedain Deaths...

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Dire Dunedain deaths...

Overrun by Orcs and/or dire wolves.
43%
Arrow to the eye.
4%
Troll/bear attack.
No votes
Giant Spider/Rabid black squirrel attack in Mirkwood..
4%
Witch-king and/or Ringwraith.
4%
Misunderstanding in Bree.
7%
At the Gates of Minas Tirith.
14%
Balrog,
11%
Avalanche on Caradhras.
4%
An unfortunate fireworks accident.
11%

Total votes: 28
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Dire Dunedain Deaths...

Post by Mirimaran »

How would you go out as a Ranger of the North?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
david lewis smith
Dúnadan

Post by david lewis smith »

None but the fire works are Dire, all others are glorious!

With out honor there is no life!
lacking anything clever to say.......
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I picked a Blarog. If I'm goin down I'm taking something BIG with me.
Winter is coming
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Mike, I agree with you completely.

'cept I could totally take a Balrog. *puffs up chest*

I'm the one who got overrun by orcs/wolves. I'd rather be killed by being outnumbered than succumb to one thing, even something as great as a Balrog. Granted, I know I couldn't beat a Balrog, but I'd rather have the "It wasn't a fair fight" excuse that being outnumbered would give me.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Steven S.
Wayfarer

Post by Steven S. »

I picked the Balrog remembering how awed I was by Glorfindel's stand at the pass during the fall of Gondolin.
"Nay the Shadow lengthens, and the Hidden remain hid."
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

I went with an arrow to the eye. If it's good enough for Harold Hardrada, it's good enough for me.

I just want to make sure I strew the ground around me with slain enemies first, Boromir-style.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Anything that can put down Glorfindel and many other Elves of the First Age would be able to destroy us all in a heartbeat. Even Gandalf died. Thus I vote Balrog. Truly a glorious way to go :D
david lewis smith
Dúnadan

Post by david lewis smith »

perhaps I misstook 'dire' for bad

bad deaths have no glory.
hummm

I might have to go with orks and wargs.

better to go down killing as many of the dark lords host than fighing something I cant fight (belrog)
lacking anything clever to say.......
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

Well, you know, it seemed like a good idea. Fasten one of those really big firecrakers I got from that old wizard fella to an arrow and shoot it at those orcs.

Guess I shouldn't have waited for a good shot once I lit the fuse...
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

No Balrog. I'd have been very close to the illustrous Aragorn as he fled for his life from the balrog that took down Gandalf. Though he probably did it to continue to lead the group once Gandalf sacrificed himself for the fellowship. Or, then again, I probably would have been leading the charge out of Moria . . . MAKING SURE THERE WERE NO ORCS IN THE WAY!!! That screaming you heard? No, it was a battlecry! :oops:

I would hope to go down Like Chirs said, "Boromir-style." Fighting a superior force of orcs/wargs. Or perhaps it could be with a firecracker to the eye.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Arrow to the eye.
I poked and scratched my eye last summer in a woods battle. Not fun. The ominous branch haunts me in my nightmares. :twisted:
An unfortunate fireworks accident.
What a way to go? Big boom! Great balls of fire!
Troll/Bear Attack.
The bear is my totem, so not my selection, but Tristans death at the end of Legends of the Fall, is a great scene.

SO, MY PICK IS
Overrun by Orcs and/or dire wolves.
In R.E. Howards, Beyond the Black River, my favorite of the genre, the supporting hero and his faithful dog make a last stand, to delay the Picts from pursuing fleeing settlers, mostly women and children. Conan finds the pair slain, but surrounded by all of the Pict bodies. Boromir, Roland, hard decisions. The ultimate self-sacrifice. However, I would prefer to be the victor and have an ending like at Roakes Drift or as Conan does. Fighting to live, not fighting to avoid death.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Ranger of Arthedain

Re: Dire Dunedain Deaths...

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

Bah, it may be an old thread, but I just had to put my two sense into it. ;)

Why, fireworks of course! I've always said I wanted to go out with a "bang". ;) Haha!

I think I'll go against the grain of Orcs/wolves and the Balrog, and go straight for the big baddie; the Witch King! Or one of his minions, a Nazgul. Albeit my martial skills are no wheres near on par with Aragorn's :P But that wouldn't stop me from at least trying!
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

So there was Dirhael, an army of orcs and wolves more than two thousand strong. With a battle cry of Lacho calad! Drego morn! ,he charged into the mass of beasts, glory shining about him. The orcs cowered in fear and some of the wolves turned to run, such was the terror that the Dunadan inspired in them. He slew down hundreds of enemies, falling on both sides before he could hold out any longer. With all his might he shouted one last cry of Lacho calad! Drego morn! and then fell into darkness.
He was remembered for centuries afterward and told of in songs. The ranger who had died outnumbered, but strong, like a true Dunadan.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

cleddyf the closet pyromanic gets into Gandalf's fireworks wagon in the run up to Bilblo's birthday party
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I think I would go out battling those evil spiders in Mirkwood. I would use my ranger skills to weave in and out of the darkness, taking them out one by one. But then they would overwhelm me and I would have to make a huge bonfire. Standing by the fire, I would defend myself to the last.

To make it sound more heroic, I think my defense will be used to allow a party of dwarves or hobbits to escape.

Sound good?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain