Fun with research and weapons!

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Udwin
Vendor

Re: Fun with research and weapons!

Post by Udwin »

While rerereading my appendices last night, I came across this passage which seems to definitively allow for ferrous metals in Eriador in the latter Third Age, without relying on Iron Hills iron imported from the East.

"So Thráin and Thorin with what remained of their following (among whom were Balin and Glóin) returned to Dunland, and soon afterwards they removed and wandered in Eriador, until at last they made a home in exile in the east of the Ered Luin beyond the Lune. Of iron were most of the things that they forged in those days, but they prospered after a fashion, and their numbers slowly increased.” (Appendix A: Annals of the Kings and Rulers, III – Durin’s Folk, 393).

Also this bit from Letter No. 154: "The Shire-hobbits have no very great need of metals, but the Dwarfs are agents; and in the east of the Mountains of Lune are some of their mines (as shown in the earlier legends): no doubt, the reason, or one of them, for their often crossing the Shire."

Based on all our sources, it seems that folks in Eriador could have had access to the following metals, originally mined and/or refined by Dwarves:
*iron (from Thorin's halls in the Blues^)
*copper (hot water at Crickhollow)
*tin (Merry's description of a punch from an Ent-fist)
copper + tin =
*bronze (used at least during the 1300-1409 TA period: Barrow-blades)
*zinc (Bag-end's doorknob was 'brass', or copper + zinc)

Sooo...if anybody had been basing kit on my earlier research above, there's no need to limit yourself to red metals in Eriador!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

True that. Came across the Copperful of boiling water at crickhollow last week, much to my glee. Tin's a great addition...that right there just made tin-lined copper cookware legitimate.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by jbook »

Udwin, your research is incredible. Thanks for continuing to raise the bar. As far as your weapon choice, I have always been attracted to a spear for the common man. And there are certainly many many references to them in LOTR. Currently I am reading ROFK and I've found many.

I also found an interesting distinction between spears of Men and spears of Orcs. Tolkien often refers to them as "long spears" but there is a reference to Orc spears as being "broad-headed spears".