Music, Laments, and...hi-res photos?

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Music, Laments, and...hi-res photos?

Post by Mirimaran »

SierraStrider wrote:It occurs to me that context could be a large part of Aragorn's quote. Clearly not all the songs of Middle Earth are sad; the hobbits are quite fond of comic verse, if nothing else.

But based on the darkness of the time period, it may well seem that all the songs are sad. A happy song in a sad hour can seem poignant. A rousing ballad can cause heartache if the glory it speaks of seems gone from the world.

That said, truly sad songs are probably the most beautiful, and well worth indulging in.
I think, as far as Aragorn is concerned, they are because the Shadow hangs over everything as far as he would be concerned. The hobbits and the Men of Bree-land seem to be blissfully ignornant of the dangers so close to them (kept in check by the Rangers) and so, tell stories and sing songs that are not tainted, as it were, by the sadness that lies under the surface.

In that sense, to me, LOTR is about the loss of innocence.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"