Music, Laments, and...hi-res photos?

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Music, Laments, and...hi-res photos?

Post by Greg »

"It is a sad tale, as are all the tales of Middle-Earth."

If Aragorn was bold enough to say that all of the stories of his and of ancient times were sad tales, it more than just stands to reason that the chief form of music, compositionally as well as for its nearly direct connection with poetry, across nearly all cultures save perhaps Hobbits, who were mostly oblivious, would be the Lament. Laments are what they sound like...there's no specific musical formulae, but they are generally slow, somber, often a-rhythmic (having no set tempo, etc.), and typically feature in a minor key (sad/darker sounding, for you not in-the-know).

How fortunate for us! Laments can be some of the most hauntingly beautiful pieces, and can more effectively put a group of tired Rangers to bed than any number of Ales. Well, almost.

Years upon years ago, I began teaching myself to play the Uilleann Bagpipes. Uilleann is Gaelic for 'Elbow', as they are pumped with a bellows rather than mouth-blown, and it is pronounced "Il-lan." They are the national instrument of Ireland, and have featured in recent years on the Titanic and Braveheart Soundtracks played by Eric Rigler, and on the Riverdance and Celtic Woman shows, often as solo acts, ALL playing, you guessed it: Laments.

Uilleann pipes have a unique sound found nowhere else...not even remotely close. There are notes that exist on the pipes that don't exist anywhere else...for example, the lowest note on a traditional chanter is D...one half-step up would be an E-flat. There IS an E-flat on the pipes, but it has a completely different tonal coloration/tembre from the rest of the instrument, and is referred to as "Ghost D".

For this reason and a few others, I believe that the Uilleann pipes are NOT Numenorean or within the Actual Dunedain culture, but rather form the closest modern equivalent to something that might have been found in Numenor, or around a council fire at Fornost, etc.

A full set of Uilleann Bagpipes, which are played sitting down, looks like this, with a chanter, three drones, and three regulators, which are tubes that remain silent until a key is pressed, emitting an accordion-like note. The regulators are played with the wrist as they lay across the lap, and typically form changing chords behind the melody while the drones remain constant.

These ARE NOT my pipes. If you have a spare $10,000, I'll be able to afford a full set that looks JUST like those. Yes please. Moving on, cheaper options include nixing the regulators to form a "half set", or nixing all of the drones, etc., to form what is called a "Practice Set."

Six years ago, a stupid teen sat on my pipes, breaking my chanter in half. The chanter is the melodic portion of any form of bagpipe, independent of the drones. Without it, pipes are useless. Mine have never sounded the same, regardless of repeated attempts with tape and glue.

Five years of procrastinating/saving money/bills and kids later, I placed an order with a deposit.

That was one year ago.

Today, my new chanter, with a very unique setup, arrived at my door.

THIS is ALSO not mine.

This chanter was made back in the 70's/80's, with a tenor drone, the smallest of the three drones normally attached to the side of the bag in a cluster, attached to the windcap, which is where the reed is housed. This doesn't offer the full sound of a 'stand' of drones, but it theoretically accompanies the chanter nicely enough for a smaller setting, or boosts the volume of the drones a bit if used with a full set. When I saw this, I fell in love with it. Too bad there are less than a dozen of these in existence, to my knowledge. This is the only photo of one I've ever seen.

It took me years to find someone willing to give it a go, and that was when I placed my order last year. Tommy Martin is a world-class piper, and plays on the regular rap sheet of several small-town groups you've never heard of, like Celtic Women and Riverdance. Turns out, he also makes pipes, and the first windcap-mounted tenor drone he's ever made came to my door today.

Materials: Turkish Boxwood for the main body, polished brass hardware, ebony mounts, windcap, and secondary parts.

They are stunning in person, sound phenomenal, and after I've gotten used to them a bit and have played in the reeds, I'll get you an audio sample. When the drone is turned on, the two different reed types (double reed=chanter, single reed=drone) create conflicting soundwaves within the windcap, which is normally a problem, but Tommy managed a few miracles, and the resulting "dissonance" is absolutely gorgeous.

I'll have more updates as we get used to one another, will follow up with some better photos at some point, as well as a few in kit, I'm sure.

Cheers.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Music, Laments, and...hi-res photos?

Post by Peter Remling »

Congrats and good luck with her !
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Beautiful instrument, with obvious craftsmanship.

As one of the few folks here who lives within an hour drive of you, when are you going to share some music on them?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I am drooling! I truly wish I had the time to jump back in, but I have to simplify rather than complicate no matter how pretty!
But I do truly wish you the best of luck with it my friend, and fervantly hope that one day we can get a Gathering off the ground so that we can hear some of your music! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I have the strangest urge to want to sit on your chanter lol Hoping to see some videos soon.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Mirimaran wrote:I have the strangest urge to want to sit on your chanter lol Hoping to see some videos soon.

Ken
OK why does that smack of Monty Python to me...Sit on my chanter and tell me that you love me....
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ringulf...you say "jump back in"...care to elaborate?

Ken...that would be a wonderful way to get your head mounted on a spit. Free of charge. Well, no...that's a lie. I'd sue you for two grand, and THEN mount your head on a spit.

Moving on, to add a little bit more detail...I kinda see this as an instrument that also could be a descendant of something more grand, originally from Numenorean, of which the art of making and playing has been lost. In the late 17 through 1800's, it was a common profession for the blind to become pipers...might be a good profession for a blind old chap to make a living somewhere in the winding stone avenues of the Minas Tirith marketplace...
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Greg wrote:Ringulf...you say "jump back in"...care to elaborate?

Ken...that would be a wonderful way to get your head mounted on a spit. Free of charge. Well, no...that's a lie. I'd sue you for two grand, and THEN mount your head on a spit.

Moving on, to add a little bit more detail...I kinda see this as an instrument that also could be a descendant of something more grand, originally from Numenorean, of which the art of making and playing has been lost. In the late 17 through 1800's, it was a common profession for the blind to become pipers...might be a good profession for a blind old chap to make a living somewhere in the winding stone avenues of the Minas Tirith marketplace...
It was always a dream of mine to play the pipes. I was raised on the music as my Dad was an avid enthusiast and a bass drummer in a pipeband. I have seen so many performances from the time I was a little boy, I still well up when I hear the pipes.
I finally got the chance to start studying and was several months into it when my friend who was teacheng me tragically died of smoke inhalation in a house fire after tossing his mom and sister out a window to his Dad who jumped to the car roof in the driveway and told his son to throw them to him. He was overcome and fell backward and perished while his father could do nothing. I put my chanter down and could never pick it up again without tears. Perhaps I should, if only to honor, him rather than indulge in my own selfishness.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Ringulf wrote:
Greg wrote:Ringulf...you say "jump back in"...care to elaborate?

It was always a dream of mine to play the pipes. I was raised on the music as my Dad was an avid enthusiast and a bass drummer in a pipeband. I have seen so many performances from the time I was a little boy, I still well up when I hear the pipes.
I finally got the chance to start studying and was several months into it when my friend who was teacheng me tragically died of smoke inhalation in a house fire after tossing his mom and sister out a window to his Dad who jumped to the car roof in the driveway and told his son to throw them to him. He was overcome and fell backward and perished while his father could do nothing. I put my chanter down and could never pick it up again without tears. Perhaps I should, if only to honor, him rather than indulge in my own selfishness.
How very sad. Yes, maybe in his memory, you could play.
Hávamál
Greg

Post by Greg »

Sorry to hear about that.

These were scottish pipes, I assume? I was a tenor drummer for six years...soloed in g1 and professional for a few seasons before the schedule became too taxing. The pipe band world is a fun one to be a part of...maybe someday you'll hop back in.
armchair
Wanderer

Post by armchair »

The drone running parallel to the chanter is interesting; it reminds me of some French and Flemish pipes I've seen.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Greg wrote:Sorry to hear about that.

These were scottish pipes, I assume? I was a tenor drummer for six years...soloed in g1 and professional for a few seasons before the schedule became too taxing. The pipe band world is a fun one to be a part of...maybe someday you'll hop back in.
Yes they were. And some day I may get back to studying again when time permits, but I still love the sound and have become even more interested in the sound and style of the Uilleann pipes. It can be such a haunting and sadly sweet sound that truly stirs the heart.
Greg

Post by Greg »

armchair wrote:The drone running parallel to the chanter is interesting; it reminds me of some French and Flemish pipes I've seen.
Yeah...I've seen a set of gallican pipes with a similar setup, though the result was very different.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh very fun!

You inspired me Peter - this came along with me today. Nicely enough, it fits perfectly in the quiver -

I remember so many years ago when reading the books, coming across a line to the effect of "and he took out his harp and played" when a number were gathered around a campfire. (I don't think it was LOtR - Sil maybe, or Lost Tales? or even Hobbit? ) Anyhow, I always pictured a smaller version of the classic Irish "Guinness" harp, and I confess that and the Dragonsinger novels were no small part of why I learned the harp in the first place.

A little more real world study though, and I rather wonder if the good Professor might have had in mind something rather more like the old Anglo Saxon lyre dug out of Sutton Hoo. It seems to fit ME quite well, and more importantly looks like it would pack much, much better for long journeys across the wild. I'm starting to think something like this, perhaps quiver-sized, might make a nice bringalong for the campfire -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1f29rtaRYk
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Elleth wrote:Oh very fun!

You inspired me Peter - this came along with me today. Nicely enough, it fits perfectly in the quiver -

I remember so many years ago when reading the books, coming across a line to the effect of "and he took out his harp and played" when a number were gathered around a campfire. (I don't think it was LOtR - Sil maybe, or Lost Tales? or even Hobbit? ) Anyhow, I always pictured a smaller version of the classic Irish "Guinness" harp, and I confess that and the Dragonsinger novels were no small part of why I learned the harp in the first place.

A little more real world study though, and I rather wonder if the good Professor might have had in mind something rather more like the old Anglo Saxon lyre dug out of Sutton Hoo. It seems to fit ME quite well, and more importantly looks like it would pack much, much better for long journeys across the wild. I'm starting to think something like this, perhaps quiver-sized, might make a nice bringalong for the campfire -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1f29rtaRYk
I'm not very musical, but half-decent with wood working. I've got the materials set aside and have been waiting for the weather to cool off- I'm making and Anglo-Saxon lyre this fall. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Hávamál