Musing on Ranger Harper/Bards

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Musing on Ranger Harper/Bards

Post by Eledhwen »

As I have said on my Ranger blog, changes have been happening steadily, but are becoming rather more pronounced for me.

I can still draw my big longbows, but not so well as before, so the poundage has shrunk from 70+ to 45-50 these days. I still use longbows for St. Huberts Rangers, but for Ranging about as a Northern Ranger, I use a Scythian composite. Easier, lighter, faster, more compact. It fits me better now.

I can still use my shortsword with brutal efficiency, but no longer tirelessly as once I could.

I can still range the forests and mountains, but not so swiftly as before.

Age is taking its toll, the gift of Eru to Men. It is as it should be. I still make arrows and bows, leather gear and textile work.

I also make harps and lyres.

So we come to the main point here; I am beginning to change from bow, spear, and sword to harp, flute, and lyre. I know, we do not get mention of Bards or Harpers from the Dunedain, but someone has to record the histories, honor the fallen, praise the heroes, damn and shame the enemy. I figure they had to exist.

I am a harper, in real world terms also a Bard, Ovate, and Druid.

So I am carving myself a new niche; I will still range the hills and forests, but I will do it with my harp and my elven hunting knife. I will still wear my star when appropriate, but I will be working with verse more than weapons. A graceful transition from the former primary to a new one. We have talented wordsmiths here..better than I will ever be, but I will do this anyway.

I think Dunedain culture had bards, or something similar (I refuse to use the term 'minstrel').

I am going to try to render some of these poems and chants into Elvish. I used to be fluent in it, such as one could be, and I still follow the language society and its works, so we shall see. I am currently planning a new harp, specifically for taking along on extended ranging trips. It will have Elvish and Numenorean decorations on it. Carving, a name of course, and from there we shall see.

Just needed to get that off my chest. It is one reason I haven't had much to say vis a vis weapons and combat and whatnot.

Eledhwen, Randirlindë (Wandering Singer, off the top of my head)
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Musing on Ranger Harper/Bards

Post by Mirimaran »

Well said, and you well know my thoughts on the matter :) I cannot imagine that the history of our people would be in more capable hands than yours, friend :) Perhaps one day we will all gather under the full moon some night, and hear those songs and tales and your harp.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
MasterStrong
Wanderer

Post by MasterStrong »

I'd venture that there may be little mention of bards in the stories of Middle Earth because the tales and songs we have are from a bard. There is certainly no shortage of songs in Tolkien's works, so music was an important part of the culture. If anything, it seems to me that the onus would be on those that would argue against a ranger being familiar with music. What better way to fill those long lonely hours than to share a tune with the birds on a flute?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looking forward to hearing how this develops! Take note: Dol Amroth is clearly cited as having the best Harpers in Gondor; I fancy it to be a centre for the performing arts.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

I hope you'll post some links to what Im sure will be some beautifully crafted music. Ive always had a love for harp music and a desire to play one, but alas I have not the skill for crafting music. Maybe some day...
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Dol Amroth is my favorite place in Gondor...but I am of the North and not of Gondor, so a Wandering Singer/Poet I shall be. That said, since Gondor has harpers of note, and Dol Amroth is noted for them, it follows the Numenoreans and thence the Dunedain have bards as well, so yep, shiny.

I have a number of themes and ideas I am playing with aside from the poems and songs in the various books and histories...my own music, and increasingly, my own verse. Some of that verse will include names from here..although only with permission, and of course the deeds and such will be fabricated, as they must be.

I have begun drafting the harp for this specific purpose. At the moment I am thinking ash for the wood, spruce or laminated birch for the soundboard. Tapered pins, bridge pins, a full set of sharping levers (not historical but given the steel bows of Numenor I think simple sharping levers not unreasonable), and to start with, phosphor bronze strings. I might put silver strings on it eventually, but we'll see. Carving, Numenorean and Dunedain themes, heavy sea themes there, and some Elven design. Still in the drafting stage, but it shouldn't be any more difficult than the other harps and lyres. Time consuming, all hand tools, no power, so yeah, it will take a while. Likely the entire Winter.

I am making some new garments for harping...for those on the Rangers of the White Tree, there was a set of drawings of men and womens' garments that blended late roman with 12 century Europe that I am very fond of for Numenorean garments..and since the function at Moots is to recall the histories and the lineage, it seems appropriate.

Now I am thinking of making a matching knife to my Elven hunting knife, but rather more elegant. *slaps self* Already carried away enough.

I may leak some verse in the 'Pony now and then as I go along. Someday, perhaps, we will have a general Ranger Moot and I can settle in under the moon and stars and remember what was. ;)

Eledhwen, Randirlindë
Nandalad!
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

This is a great thread! I think that music and verse are vey much a part of Dunedain culture as evidenced by Aragorn first translating part of the lay of Leithian for the hobbits, also let us not forget the song that he wrote for Boromir. Of course the ultimate mother of Dunadain culture, Luthien, was a singer of great power.

As for the term minstrel, this is specifically used in The Return of the King speaking of the minstrel of Gondor. If you don't like the word that's fine, but we know that they had them.

Side note, Thorin was a harper.

Ok, those are all my disjointed/exhausted thoughts for the night!

-Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Yes, I am aware of the Minstrel of Gondor. I still dislike the word due to its less than savory overtones in our own culture. Bard or Harper is a, I dunno, more noble, more honorable, term? In todays culture most people conflate them, although during their heyday they and the bards and Harpers like Turlough O'Carolan were not considered minstrels..although sometimes not terribly well regarded either

Yep, Thorin played the harp. I would also term him a Harper rather than a Harpist, as I am not a Harpist, but a Harper-Bard. :) Yes, Harpists can and do get annoyed if you call them a Harper. LOL

So yep, I won't use that term (minstrel), and since I am not from Gondor, it works out just fine. ;)

Probably ought to move from Rhovannion back to the ruins of Annuminas. ;) Good for the flow of Awen perhaps?

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg

Post by Greg »

The classically trained harpist that used to play with my trad band in IN informed me that a Harpist is one playing a classical harp. Or classical/modern music, whereas playing the traditional settings and smaller trad. Harps re labels the player as a Harper. She wasn't offended by the term, but rather understood that there was a distinction.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

She is essentially correct, although you will find variations. Some Harpists don't mind, others get downright fierce. Harpers, generally, don't mind being called Harpists..although I do; I mind the distinction. I have had some formal lessons, but largely I am self-taught, as in most things I do. I can play a classical harp and classical music...but my love is for simple folk tunes and related things. I have been using the harp in conjunction with learning and teaching in my capacity as a Druid. I use Celtic harps, mostly, although I do have a modern Thormahlen 36 and a Gothic 29. The ones I am building are all Celtic harps. Love them! :) Lap harps rock.

Mind you, I am not here referring to the pedal harp, the one you usually see in orchestras.

Besides, when I go a-ranging with my harp (and Rangy!), I have to be able to carry the thing and other gear. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Ah, that's where I remember harpers from, the fall of Gil-galad.

"Gil-galad was an elven king,
Of him the harpers sadly sing.
The last whose realm was fair and free,
Between the mountains and the sea."

I knew there was a reference in there somewhere! Not that you needed one,but there it is all the same.

-Brian
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Love that little snippet of song. For some reason, the version in the Brian Sibley radio adaptation has always really stuck with me:

Anyway, overall, I love this idea, Eledhwen! Honestly, if there was a reasonable way for me to carry my fiddle with me on a regular basis, I'd love to take it trekking. I have a feeling that I'm going to very much miss a bit of music on my upcoming camping trip, but I don't know what instrument I could feasibly bring with me other than my pennywhistle (at which I am not remotely well practiced, I'm afraid).

And as for being a bard vs. a minstrel... well, I think you're on the right track. Nothing but a bunch of hooligans, those minstrels, as you can see in this highly enlightening documentary (incidentally, at the 4:00 mark you may notice a familiar name... possibly a cousin of Greg's?):

Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

"Just say 'Hey nonny NO!'"
Last edited by Manveruon on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Manveruon wrote:"Just say 'Hey nonny NO!"
-Snort- nice one :lol:

-Brian
Greg

Post by Greg »

Saw that poster in the background. Hysterical.

As for my way-of-life counselor/therapist cousin...we don't invite her to Christmas often. She tends to take my trad-musical tendencies as a "Gateway drug", if you will, into the slippery slope of Minstrelcy, and tries repeatedly to make negative associations between my pipes and things like pain, starvation, and occasionally lawn gnomes full of E...