Tall Ships/Numenorean Seafaring

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Tall Ships/Numenorean Seafaring

Post by Eledhwen »

Scale and lamellar helms were known and used by the Scythians and other steppe folk. This technique is very old. Even enamelling the plates, or gilding them, was fairly common.

One day I might torture myself into making the complete kit since I am far more interested in the Numenoreans of the 2nd Age than the Gondorians of the 3rd. Their organization, weapons, armor, ships, all of it. Since I spent time on a tall ship years ago, and have done more than a little oar work too, and I am a Marine...I identify very closely with the Numenoreans.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Numenorean armor

Post by Ringulf »

Eledhwen wrote:Since I spent time on a tall ship years ago, and have done more than a little oar work too, and I am a Marine...I identify very closely with the Numenoreans.

Eledhwen
That's cool Eledhwen! what ship(s) were you on? I have done some Tall shippin myself.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Scott, judging from some of the conversations, I should have asked you if you'd done some tall ship work. I volunteered on the Half Moon for several years and Jessie held the record for the youngest person to climb the highest for a good many years. My first day we raised the topmast using the capstan and muscle. Very cool stuff
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

None of the famous ones. LOL No, while I was in Thailand an oil rigger had himself a Brigantine constructed there. Some of us Marines helped him out with a few things and we got an education on various things to do with tall ships, including crewing and such. Good thing I'd taken the Coast Guard course on sailing before going over there.

Climbing the ratlines to the yards, walking the capstan to raise anchor, the sounds of wood, rope, and canvas....good memories. Hauling up that gaff sail was interesting. Tough work. Long, long time ago though. I used to think that the Numenoreans might have had ships similar to that one. Imagination, ya know. I have lots.

I have a love affair with Mountains and the Sea...so Numenore calls to me strongly. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That is great!
I have been on many static displays like the Charles W. Morgan, the Dunton and the Conrad. My family has been part of the Seaport Society since before I was born. I used to go to the Moby Dick Readings overnight on the Morgan as a kid. I sailed aboard the Regina Maris (Barkentine?) when in Greenport during my apprenticeship Summer.
I was aboard the Constellation in Baltamore and the Constitution a few times in Boston, in fact when I passed my CG Liscence test in Boston, I walked from the testing office (by the Beavor where the Boston Tea Party was said to be held) and told them I had just past the test and the officer of the Deck had me piped aboard as a captain. nothing truly official of course, but the symbolism still chokes me up sometimes.
I actually got to Sail on the CG Eagle and when I was attending Maine Maritime Academy got to crew on the Druzba, which is the Russian Cadet's training ship. (Had some crazy nights with those Russians, let me tell you! they drink like DWARVES!)
The Tall ship I know best though, is the Academy's Training Schooner, which was Admiral MacMillan's arctic schooner the Bowduin. I Spent many a night on board her and got my bluenose on her decks. I even climbed her aft rigging and traversed the Jackstay between the mainmast and the foremast (at over 250lbs, this was not an easy task and had the crew singing "When I seen an elepant fly!")
I did help loft build and sail a viking Knaar at Woodenboat school, which was a unique experience with a square rigger (though calling her a tallship is a bit of a stretch).
But unfortunately my most recent memory of Tall ships was when I was employed as part of the Lofting crew for the Kalmar Nickle, a Reproduction of a Dutch Pinnace that was being built in Wilmington DE. I made an eigth of an inch mistake on the third beam in and it compounded to the end of the framing so that it was nearly 8 inches off! needless to say that was the first time I was fired from a job concerning boats (And the last!) Got my new set of glasses right after that!! :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

This discussion on ships and numenor is too good...soooooo, splitting topic. Carry on!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Tall Ships/Numenorean Seafaring

Post by Eledhwen »

I had a lot of leave so got to spend time aboard in the Gulf of Siam and surrounding waters. Nothing official, mind; no certifications or anything. All I have is On the Job Training.

I've been aboard a lot of tall ships...when I was very young I was taken down to Mystic Seaport by my grandfather and got aboard the Morgan. Back then you could even climb on the ratlines and such...liability and insurance companies hadn't yet gotten a grip. Was aboard the Eagle. Also the Constitution. The USS Constitution is still in commission and the Marines aboard her are active duty Marines on special duty. Nice duty that! :)

Might go out to Salem and board the schooner there for a bit of a whirl next year. Might have an opportunity to spend a bit of time at a shipbuilding port in Maine. They are working on topsail schooners and related for the 'new' and growing sail trade that is developing. We'll see next year.

So, yeah, amphibious is a good word for me. Numenorean Marine! Get some! ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Sea Rangers! Numenorean Navy & Marines! ;)

I've used this for a lot of years now as one of my banners for 2nd Age Numenorean stuff.

FWIW

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

My youngest brother (Jeff) was the one who got me into tall ships. He had volunteered on the Gazella, out of Allentown for a year or so before I started on the Halfmoon. He also worked the Halfmoon a few times which was a long drive for him and did some chalking on the Kalmar Nickle when she was being built.

I had the good fortune to go to a tall ship event on Long Island 15 years ago and saw a good few of the ships mentioned above. If any of the members get a chance to go to a tall ship event, go, you will learn so much about the early sailing arts and life style.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Eledhwen wrote: Might go out to Salem and board the schooner there for a bit of a whirl next year. Might have an opportunity to spend a bit of time at a shipbuilding port in Maine. They are working on topsail schooners and related for the 'new' and growing sail trade that is developing. We'll see next year.
Eledhwen
Rockport has quite a few Schooners that call the port home, Have friends aboard the Roseway there, sailed her out around Vinalhaven and back on a maintinence cruise after refitting was done. But Camden/ Rockport has been Schooner central for many years. Some of the ships along the Mass, Maine coast spend half the year up north then go down to the Carribian for half the year. Some turn up here on the way down to Miami or Ft Lauderdale before heading to the keys.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I'm envious. As many of you know, while I'm not "rangering" I'm mostly a pirate at heart, and for a while there I really wanted to move back to San Diego (the city of my birth, though I haven't lived there in almost three decades) just so I could volunteer at the maritime museum and maybe work some of the ships. Alas, this never happened, and now I'm afraid I'm too domesticated to ever have such an adventure.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains